Our first XC - am I doing the right class + someone give me a kick to post the entry

suzi

Visit site
Planning on doing horses first xc event (and my first for a while) at the end of the month.

We currently SJ up to 1.05 classes and have been xc schooling quite a few times this year. The event I am planning on going to has a 2ft - 2ft3 class a 2ft6 - 2ft9 class and a 3ft-3ft3 class.

My plan is to do the middle one as I think the first is too small and the second too big if he backs off anything (which he could well do as first comp etc). Have had comments that we're being silly and should just do the bigger one but I am sticking to my plan of start small and work up......

And can someone please give me a kick to actually put the entry in the post......

I did attempt to start a ht a few months after I bought him last year but for one reason and another it was a massive disaster and after 15 minutes on our hind legs in the warm up I gave up and took him home.....so I'm guess I'm just being a bit of a wuss in case he does the same again...

On the assumption I do get over myself and get on with it is anyone else going to Fair Oak on the 30th??

philamena

Visit site
As Starsky (or Hutch?) would say: Do it!

I think you're right to do the 2'9 personally. What's your one objective of doing this xc? To do it and to enjoy it, so you are less stressed about it next time. Nothing else. And as for needing a kick up the bum to do it, if you don't post your entry I will personally come and steal your horse and take it myself. Mine's off games and has been for months and I'm beginning to get desperate, especially now the weather's sorted and everyone's getting back out competing. Woe is me!!!!!!! You know how ace that running-and-jumping-with-ears-pricked feeling is? That. So take one for the team and crack on would you?

Princess Jess

Visit site
As Starsky (or Hutch?) would say: Do it!

I think you're right to do the 2'9 personally. What's your one objective of doing this xc? To do it and to enjoy it, so you are less stressed about it next time. Nothing else. And as for needing a kick up the bum to do it, if you don't post your entry I will personally come and steal your horse and take it myself. Mine's off games and has been for months and I'm beginning to get desperate, especially now the weather's sorted and everyone's getting back out competing. Woe is me!!!!!!! You know how ace that running-and-jumping-with-ears-pricked feeling is? That. So take one for the team and crack on would you?

Haha love this! ^^^
Don't think I could say it any better myself... :D

almostthere

Visit site
Just do it. What is important is that you go out and have FUN! There is absolutely nothing wrong in doing a smaller class than your horse's capability especially as a first one. I always walk the xc and think "oh god that's big" and then I look back over the videos/photos when I have finished and think "wow that's tiny". I am an absolute wimp when it comes to height on my current horse but I still get a HUGE adrenaline rush doing xc...go, go, go and let us all know how you get on....

doratheexplorer

Visit site
Go and do it!! Nothing beats the buzz of going xc!

Definitely do the 2'9 - that height you can trot into confidently if your horse backs off/you loose a little confidence!

Good luck, and most improtantly take lots of photos and post a report on here!