Our Great Yorkshire Show

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Amazing week - absolutely shattered (although now in Portugal sunning myself so not as bad as it could be I suppose!)

Arrived on Monday evening, ready for an early Tuesday start - got to the showground at 5.30am, got ready, worked in etc and then down to the ring for 7.30am - coloureds for Dinger and me, and novice LW hunters for Jayne and Academy Award (Oscar). Dinger was amazing (first time in the ring at GYS for both of us) - and won a very large coloured class. So we waited for 3 more coloured classes before the championship.

In the meantime, Oscar won his novice LWs and Jayne hopped onto Knightsbridge Court (Roland) for the MWHW novice hunters. He was called in top but did not give as good a ride as the others, so was dropped to 4th - and then Oscar won the novice championship with the most amazing gallop in the main ring - absolutely sensational!

Dinger went into the coloured championship and was a star - he simply loves playing to an audience and flew like the wind in his gallop with everyone in the stand clapping as the horses went past. Eventually called in champion and the Hollings hairy in reserve - absolutely amazed with the result for our first attempt here.

Then straight into riding horses - Berkley Square (5 year old small RH Orla) was second in her class, and Comberton Clancy gave a ride for the ride judge that I don't think will be bettered for a long time to come by ANY horse -he was absolute perfection, to win the larges. In the championship the two larges took champion and reserve - so we had amazingly got three horses through to the supreme on Wednesday afternoon (out of a possible 12!!!)

Another early night, then back again for the 7.30am LW cobs - Fait Accobli (Guy) pulled out all the stops (and showed his half TB breedingin his gallop!) by winning the LWs, and then went champion over the HOYS champion from last year which was a super result for him. So we had FOUR in the supreme now!!!

Last horse in was Time to Reflect (Betty) a four year old small hunter in her first season. She was called in second in the huge main ring and stayed there - a superb result!

THe supreme was due at 5pm, but thingswere running late, so we ended up hanging around in the collecting ring waiting for 20 heavy horse pairs (with carts) doing individual shows. By this time Dinger was getting pretty up for action - then we were in - hurtled in at a power trot to make sure that he wasn't going to bottle out, then OMG - that ring is HUGE!!!! Had a fantastic time on the go round and the gallop seemed to go on forever - you can't even hear anything going on around you as you go on so fast for so long. Individual shows - mine was not good sadly. Due to the early retirement of the horse in front of me we ended up almost colliding as she finished and I started and it kind of threw both of us but we ended up with a pretty good gallop and Dinger seemed to be having fun!!! Clancy did an amazing show and ended up reserve supreme and we were thrilled with the way he behaved in that enormous ring.

I then leapt into my car as I had to get to Hull for meetings - got caught in ALL the show traffic for ages, reached the hotel and then collapsed.

I've wanted to ride at GYS for years, and to get into the Supreme on my first attempt was just brilliant - all I had wanted to do was to have the chance to gallop down the long side in the main ring to see if it was as much fun as it looked - and yes - it definitely is!!!!

No pics - they were all pretty awful - photgrapher kept getting us when we were pulling up which was really irritating - in both the class and the championships. :eek:

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Great report, you can tell how much you enjoyed yourself. Huge well done on the results, shame about the pics.
Have a great holiday and enjoy the sun.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I've wanted to ride at GYS for years, - all I had wanted to do was to have the chance to gallop down the long side in the main ring to see if it was as much fun as it looked - and yes - it definitely is!!!!

One of my ambitions too, and funnily enough always thought I had more chance of that than riding at Cheletnham, so who knows ;) ?

Really well done, I was going to go over for a nosey but I heard that it was chaos getting in and out, so gave it a miss.

I look forward to the next Dinger adventure! (BTW I hope he is still doing his thing when I get out and about judging :D)

ChestnutHunter

Visit site
I was watching the LW hunter class and I second that your horse had a fantastic gallop!!
Was a pleasure to watch.
Love your coloured aswell,does that mean he's going to hoys again this year?