Our HOYS!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Bit of a muddled report, as I am struggling to keep awake!!!!

We had 17 horses taking part doing 18 classes between them) - and without exception, every horse behaved immaculately in the ring, and performed as well as they possibly could which is an amazing achievement for everyone working at Moor Farm - the hours the grooms put in over the past week particularly was unbelievable. A camera crew should really follow one of the showing teams one year to see how people survive on 3 hours sleep a night for a week ...

Anyway - Tuesday and Wednesday - the hunters were all placed in their classes - the four year old was 4th in the small hunters - lots to come from her next year we hope, the LW, MW and HW were all placed in the top nine and one of our liveries was second on her MW which was a fab result!

Thursday - Our racehorse went brilliantly but sadly was not the judges cup of tea - 7th I think?

Thursday night - some kind soul let Dinger our of his stable - we know that it could not have been him escaping as firstly he has never done it before, and secondly, even Dinger would not shut the door and bolt it behind him. Presumably that was done to ensure he did not go back into his stable ... so presumably a fellow competitor let him out. Dinger is everyone's favourite and I cannot believe that someone could be so callous to put a horse that is pretty much a member of our family, in danger. Fortunately he was found by the groom of one of our friends who popped him back in his stable - there ARE some good people around - and then let us know what had happened.

Yes, we all want to win - but is it necessary to go to such lengths? fortunately, Dinger was none the worse for wear. We also had a £100 numnah stolen from outside the stable - had been there for less than 10 minutes ...

Friday (I had to drop my son at school and make a mad dash to Birmingham in rush hour traffic and only just got there in time!) - So, we were still without a win and it was up to Dinger to produce the goods and he won the coloured native horse section for the fourth year in a row and then went champion (for the third year in a row!) - this horse loves to strut his stuff in front of an audience!

Cobs were disappointing results - Dinger was called in 5th above some super cobs - gave a fab ride and was dropped out of placings. Clearly his ride and conformation had deteriorated since going champion the previous day! Our chestnut lightweight who has taken so many championships this year, we think knocked himself on the go round and was not sound in the trot up - unfortunately we were not made aware of this, so came back into the ring for the final judging - obviously if we had known, we wouldn't have brought him back in! The Keystone Cob was called in top and ended up 3rd - that's life I suppose!

Sunday - small riding horses - Berkley Square and Jackson Fair and Square were both called in top half and gave good rides - Berkley Square did the most fanastic extension for the judge! She ended up 2nd which was a fabulous result - she was 3rd as a 4 year old last year, so we are hoping for the move up the ladder to continue for her next year!

Then Comberton Clancy - unbeaten this year in his class and champion at RIHS - he gave a fab judge ride and looked to strip well. Because they start from 9th place and work their way up, it was nailbiting - and he was called in to win. Phew!! Interestingly, the rider of the winner of the smalls was second in the larges, and vice versa for us.

No idea where the championship would go - fortunately went with us, which meant that I was riding Dinger in the championship as Jayne would stay on Clancy.

In preparation for this possiblity, I had left Birmingham at 11.30am to do the 200 mile round trip to pick my son up from his father's where he was playing in a football match - got back to the NEC just in time to drop him off at the Caldene arena, then dash back to the lorry, get changed and jump onto Dinger who had been worked in by one of the grooms in my absence! Not ideal preparation ...

THe Supreme is pre judged in the little Caldene arena - so 9 champions went into the Caldene. Normally we walk in, line up and then do an individual show. Then the steward told me to trot on - so I did - and everyone else looked at me in amazement (so I assumed I had mis heard and went back to walk, at which point I was told to trot on again!) - anyway - did the walk, trot, canter etc then lined up (in a different place to previous years so my individual show ideas went to pot!). The hack had to come out as it just could not settle in the arena, so that left us with eight horses. They all did pretty good shows to be honest - nothing was silly and all galloped well - Dinger was very bright and definitely up for it and gave me a lively ride - Clancy was amazing and Jayne did the entire show with one hand (canter serpentines, gallop - the lot!!) - if I had done it one handed I would have been in the car park within 10 seconds!!!

So, no idea what the result was and we all filed out, ready to go into the international arena at 7pm for the evening performance. I then dashed off with my son to do the Top Gear Bugatti Ride (one of those pod things which rolls all over the place) By the third time round the chicane (with me dressed in top hat and full championship gear) I thought I was going to throw up - fortunately did not, but I promise you it was close!

Got on board at 6.45pm and waited in the collecting ring for the scurry ponies to do their stuff, then it was time for us. I had decided Dinger may as well go in first as he was keen to get going - so down the tunnel and back into the main arena. It is totally different going into the evening performance with the spotlights and crowds than doing the normal day time classes. The place looked packed and Dinger was very aware of the atmosphere but behaved beautifully. Did the usual go round and the working hunter was just in front of me when we did out gallops - he gave me a fabulous tow and Dinger produced one of his best gallops. Lined up and I was next to the worker, who very kindly told me that his money was on Dinger winning (how I wish he had been judging!!!)

Waited and waited - then Clancy called forward champion - yay!!!!!! I was as excited for Jayne as much as if Dinger had been called forward!!!

We put the ponies away, then came back to watch some of the displays - household cavalry as always were spot on in their performance - magical and memorable. Pony Club were great (our pony club won!), watched some of the show jumpers working in (my son was fascinated to see them working in over 2'6 fences, then popping them up to 5 foot or so!) We lasted until 10pm, then I decided we would go home - we did want to see Clancy do the Cavalcade, but 11pm was too late - and with 1.5 hour drive home, and my son having tennis coaching at 7am this morning, I didn't think it was the best idea to hang around any longer!

I am incredibly lucky to have now ridden in the Supreme at HOYS twice - an opportunity that even many of the pro riders never get the chance to do. And particularly on a horse like Dinger who always gives of his best and loves every second in the limelight!!!

I said earlier one that the back room team have worked themselves into an early grave this week - but you would never have known - they have been cheerful and as encouraging every second - and have earned a good rest this week. Sadly one of our grooms is leaving this year - she will definitely be missed - but it was lovely that her parents came to HOYS to watch yesterday and as we had two in the riding horse championship, they watched her ride in the main arena at HOYS - I hope they were very proud of what she has achieved.

So - thanks for reading if you have got this far - hopefully will have some pics at some point - nothing at the moment although a friend of ours took some fab ones of the championship!

Last edited:

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Well done, what a busy week but some great results to make it all worthwhile. :) I am :eek: at someone letting Dinger out of his stable though, that is terrible. Is there no security/CCTV or anything? There must be some rather valuable horses stabled there, you'd think there'd be something? Terrible that another competitor would stoop that low. :mad:

only_me

Visit site
Am also :eek: at someone letting him out of his stable - what absolute low-lifes and I hope they are reading this and see how pathetic they acted. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt!
Was there any CCTV by the stables?

Pasha

Visit site
Wow what a week!!! I can't believe that one of your fellow competitors let Dinger out of his stable :mad: it truly beggars belief! Thank goodness he is ok and two fingers up to them as he went on and won :D

:mad::mad::mad: about the numnah as well x

Broodle

Visit site
What a lovely report to read! Well done on your fantastic results. Another one who is gobsmacked that someone would stoop so low as to let Dinger out of his stable!!!

doctordoolittle

Visit site
Well done on your fantastic results! 17 horses!!

Dinger sounds lovely - eagerly awaiting a photo! How awful that someone would let him loose, he could have been seriously injured or worse, its amazing the lengths some people will go! Lucky that your groom found him.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Saw you on the telly last night on super shiny hossie so been waiting for this post :D. I'm knackered just reading it ! Congrats to you and all your team. Are you having a nice long holiday now ?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Saw you on the telly last night on super shiny hossie so been waiting for this post :D. I'm knackered just reading it ! Congrats to you and all your team. Are you having a nice long holiday now ?

Was it on Sky? Someone said they saw Clancy, but not sure whether it was just in the background or on purpose!

As for a rest - not for me - up at 6.15am to get my son to tennis, then back to work as normal this week! And yes - I am shattered!!!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Sky sports 4 although it was only about 30 seconds worth when they were showing some of the showing champions, there was yourself, the lickle pony Crystal Vision and a humungous 2yr old shire. Shame they don't show more but I suppose people find showjumping more exciting to watch.

misswitch2

Visit site
Congratulations! I have no idea how you all do it...i was exhausted with just one horse there!

I saw Jayne working in and think that she's an amazing rider!

whatawizard

Visit site
Fantastic result, Dinger has always been a favourite, lucky you to ride him in the supreme! Huge congratulations to Jayne and Clancy he has looked amazing all season, well earned rest for you all now I hope.

MissSBird

Visit site
Congratulations! Can't believe someone would do that with dinger, but can believe about the theft. Someone stole a shavings fork from us once.

Delighted for you guys. Clancy is a stunning horse!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Fab report I am exhausted just reading it. Congratulations to you and all of your team.

Another one who cant believe Dinger was let out of his stable and you had equipment stolen:(

Visit site
Huge congrats to all! And especially Dinger and the wonderful Clancy! I think I nearly broke my refresh keyboard abusing Horse Gossip for up to the minute results. I did make my work colleagues laugh when I cheered for Clancy winning the RH's - even the horses looked at me strangely!

So if you have a staff member leaving can I join? :D Pretty Please? :D :D :D

avthechav

Visit site
Amazing report and sounds like you had an absolute CRACKING week :D. I just cant believe that someone did that to Dinger?!! Totally nuts!!:confused:- you would have hoped that anyone that has access to the stables would understand the hard work that goes into producing a horse to that standard and also the risk of doing such a stupid thing. Do lots of people have access to the stables? How stupid and unsporting!:mad:

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Amazing report and sounds like you had an absolute CRACKING week :D. I just cant believe that someone did that to Dinger?!! Totally nuts!!:confused:- you would have hoped that anyone that has access to the stables would understand the hard work that goes into producing a horse to that standard and also the risk of doing such a stupid thing. Do lots of people have access to the stables? How stupid and unsporting!:mad:

Security is reasonably strict if you don't have a horse with you, but if you are leading or riding a horse, you can just go straight into the horse area without showing a pass. It could only have been a fellow competitor ...

Hornby

Visit site
Thank you for a brilliant report, excellent end to the week and shows how much work is required. Shocking about Dinger and very concerning, good job he is such a pro! :D