Our idiot townie neighbours

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Tonight decided it would be a good idea to light Chinese lanterns at their party, despite there being fields of cut dry hay waiting to be bailed as far as the eye can see. Thankfully they went over the hill and missed all around us. Hopefully they didn't cause damage on the other side. How stupid and thoughtless!

sarahann1

Visit site
Tonight decided it would be a good idea to light Chinese lanterns at their party, despite there being fields of cut dry hay waiting to be bailed as far as the eye can see. Thankfully they went over the hill and missed all around us. Hopefully they didn't cause damage on the other side. How stupid and thoughtless!

Lanterns should be banned, hate the damn things! Have found a couple in my horses fields over the last 2 years and we're a good couple of miles out of town.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I shall keep an eye out for the blasted things Honey08! I loathe the damned things at any time of year, but now with cut fields and dry heather on the moors they are the stupidist things ever.

Sleipnir

Visit site
It has been very dry around here for a couple of the previous weeks, and I was recently horrified to find one of those things in the woods just by the yard! People really don't seem to use their heads nowadays.

w1bbler

Visit site
Sadly people just aren't aware of the damage they can cause. One of my work colleagues was going to have them at her wedding as "they look so pretty"..
After me ranting for a good 5 mins she actually changed her mind 😁 she had no idea of the potential for damage & injury. They should be banned.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't know how they are legal or how any remotely intelligent person cannot work out the risk of sending a naked flame on an unknown course with no chance of controlling the outcome.

rascal

Visit site
used to get the same problem when we kept the horses in a field near Great Barr near Birmingham. The surrounding fields were all hay, and we used to find loads of those stupid lanterns. We even had some in the big round bales of hay we bought from the farmer, that was one reason we didn't stay there long. Things should be banned. We think it was the nearby Chinese takeaway.

pennyturner

Visit site
I think I would have spoken to them, or if that wasn't possible, called the police or at least the council. There are laws about arson, littering and nuisance which can be used to warn and educate them.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It's not my hay, so I let the farmer know, just in case. I've had too many issues with them of my own over the past few years to get involved in someone else's.. They were all very drunk at that point and wouldn't have given a stuff anyway. They diverted a load of water on their property so it ran into my field, right where our new big bales of haylage were stacked, and the ten bottom ones got ruined. They never even apologised.

pennyturner

Visit site
Diverting water drives me crackers. It's the only thing that doesn't qualify as 'waste of effluent', so you can't use the usual nuisance laws. My neighbour's fish keeper thinks he has the right to flood my field whenever he wants to lower the water level in the main river. Grrrr.

Pedantic

Visit site
NOFA, hate Chinese lanterns with a vengeance, they look like giant used jonnys draped over hedges when they land, so bloody dangerous from the word off.

Finlib

Visit site
Where we used to livethe old farm cottage next to ours was sold to townie rich kids so after 25 years of having delighful elderly countryside friendly neighbours we had years of hell with the new townies including firworks set off on any conceivable occasion with no warning and often late at night(our fields bordered their garden. Their garden drained into our field (its only a FIELD so doesn't matter if its wet. A bouncy castle put up right on our field boundary with no warning (I was a work) Kite flying IN OUR FIELD) Complaint after complaint as the chicken cluck early in the morning(7:30 am in summer!!) The horses neighing in the morning when I go out to feed them .Letting their dogs run riot getting onto our property.taking down a fence between us without saying anything .It was a fence between the 2 properties
As soon as we retired we upped sticks and moved away sold to equally townie people they deserved each other!!! Life is so peaceful now I don't know how we stood it for so long (8years!)

Clodagh

Visit site
I absolutely don't get why people who light them are not arrested for littering/possible arson and whatever else, why would you think lighting a fire and throwing it away to do whatever is a good idea?

Equi

Visit site
I don't know how they are legal or how any remotely intelligent person cannot work out the risk of sending a naked flame on an unknown course with no chance of controlling the outcome.

I honestly believe people think they go into the sky and don't come back. Someone who released baloons once said sure they go into space.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Tried the last two years by writing to MP after one of our cows died eating the wire... no one gives two shits.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I don't know how this isn't classed as littering and surely therefore a finable offence.

I also get annoyed by cellophane round flowers left in memoriam, leave the flowers sure, but please take the plastic home.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
A couple of years ago I went to a New Year party at the house of a member of the local gentry - hunting shooting fishing farming people - and they had fireworks and Chinese lanterns at the stroke of midnight :O I'm afraid I wasn't very polite in my reaction ... It's not just townies sadly.

maisie06

Visit site
Why are these things legal?? It's dangerous for property and wildlife. Makes me laugh you can get fined £80 for dropping litter yet legally you can set fire to some wire and paper and set it free wherever you like to cause littering and damage...this country is a joke.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bloody fools. Print this off and shove it through their door, Honey.

c15fb5bf4a2f5be3dd4c9b3bb0d693f4_zpsimo6nrfo.jpg

Pedantic

Visit site
I absolutely don't get why people who light them are not arrested for littering/possible arson and whatever else, why would you think lighting a fire and throwing it away to do whatever is a good idea?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This This This This This This This This, why the *******hell aren't the so called intelligent powers that be not getting this ????????????

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I hate neighbours, in general. They think they can impact on other people and their property without reason. The lanterns should be banned without doubt. Our neighbours property discharges sewage effluent into our field and there seems to be nothing we can do about it.

adamntitch

Visit site
Am a townie to and don't like being labeled as such I spend more time at yard than town but hate them to and all friends and family know not to buy such stupid things

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I feel very fortunate as I have fantastic neighbours who watch out for my horses, come and and let me know if they spot anything they think I need to know. I do get calls from worried neighbours when my horses may have been laying down 5 minutes longer than normal. Lol I would much rather that though. They are also mostly retired and are very animal oriented so they nake great neighbours for me as horse owner.

dominobrown

Visit site
Am a townie to and don't like being labeled as such I spend more time at yard than town but hate them to and all friends and family know not to buy such stupid things

True, there are some people who you could label 'townies' who arent ignorant and do care for wildlife etc more than country folk. I think we all have had enough of lables.
Those neighbours sound more like ignorant selfish *&4#* or whatever!