Our new horses teeth 'Smile'

Mickeymoo

Visit site
We had the vet out to our new horse 15.2h Cob gelding 19years old.. and they said he has a smile on his teeth. Instead of his front teeth going across they smile up at the edges.

The vet said it's not a problem and one of theirs has it - it can be corrected by the dentist. The only problem is he will not hold weight very well unless he is on really long lush grass - which we aren't. He has lost some weight, but that is because he is getting more excercise than he was previously, and he was very fat when we got him. (8 weeks ago).

Have you heard of this? and should we leave well alone. The previous owner had him for 10 years and had all the maintenance etc on him.

He is eating hard feed well and he is on a new field full of grass and eating. Am I worrying too much because he's new and old and sweet....

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Am I worrying too much because he's new and old and sweet....

[/ QUOTE ]
Awww, bless! (Piccies btw, asap! LOL)
smile.gif

I shouldn't worry too much, especially if he was 'very fat' when you got him! Although, having said that, our Small White Useless One is hugely fat most of the time & her teeth were diabolical!
shocked.gif

Is he due for the dentist shortly? Maybe have your EDT out to him before winter sets in if you're worried, just to ease your mind!
Which EDT do you use? If you don't have one, I would definitely recommend the one we use & as you're in Derbyshire & we're in Staffordshire, he'd probably cover your area - PM me if you like!
smile.gif

mostfunintown

Visit site
I have seen this a few times and yes it is easily corrected. Don't worry about him losing weight this is not because of his teeth as he manage to put the weight on in the first place and my guess is he was using the same teeth then. lol!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

GTs

Visit site
I have seen it before - all they do is get the dremel out and trim a bit off of tooth off, making it flat. He will probably be happy to have it done.