Out 24/7 or bring in

Donuts

Visit site
Thoughts please. Horses have moved to winter grazing which means half day turnout but YO has said I can stay in summer fields until January out 24/7. I said fantastic as horse a good doer and 3 of them out together. However today the weather has been vile, one horse in the herd dropping weight so YO going to bring that one in and I am worried I have made wrong decision. The advantage of being out is that it’s good for legs (23 with arthritis) but lookin at the others all tucked up warm and cosy I am now wondering if I have done the right thing.
With two only out I will bring both in and out with me so ones not left on own which is no problem.
I am also worried they will get too clingy.
I am away for 2 weeks over Xmas so I am thinking it’s good to be out moving though.
Any thoughts welcome (there is still grass for them and yo said he would put hay out when that’s eaten).
Thank you

pippixox

Visit site
I have been feeling sorry for my 3 in this recent wet patch. But I opened up more grass and except in the morning (when they wait near the gate for breakfast- as one has medication) they are off grazing when it’s chucking it down.
I’ve even done sneaky drive bys at different times to check on them

Again my old boy is better out moving. Once I start bringing in they get in the habit and mope in the afternoon, so I want to avoid it as long as possible. Especially as it ups my work loads and I have two young children

be positive

Visit site
3 of mine are staying out for the winter, the old boy who is 27 looks fab at the moment but will come in at night if he needs to, they have plenty of grass so are not getting hay yet and spent much of today in the middle of the field grazing despite the horrid weather.
As for being tucked up warm and cosy there are many horses who prefer to be out as much as possible and would probably look out at yours thinking they would like to join them.

SEL

Visit site
Mine have been in overnight for 10 days now, but that's because we're on clay and the fields aren't up to 24:7. If it dries up they're going back out and they will be more than happy to be out overnight so long as hay is provided. Decent rugs provide good protection against the weather and looking at them all this morning in the fields, they just turned their bums to the horizontal rain and kept eating! Both mine are arthritic and if I had my own land they would be out all year 24:7 with a good shelter to use as they wish.

I'd stay out as long as you can.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine are out for the winter, and I have also felt a bit mean when it's been throwing it down the last couple of days - but when I go up there, they're warm, dry under rugs, and very happy to piss off down the field and ignore their hay. There's a little bit of mud developing at one water trough and by the gate (well, it's gone slightly slippy so I think it will get muddy over the course of the year) but the rest of the field is firm and covered in grass. They really are happier out - even if I worry about them!

Asha

Visit site
I’ve got 3 out and 3 in at the minute . My old broodmare , yearling and young broodmare are all out in the big field , they have plenty of grass . They watch the other 3 coming in , and don’t care . They seem happy enough at the minute, and long may it continue! I half expected them to pester me to come in today , but they haven’t even given me a glance . As someone else posted , while you can make the most of it, heaven only knows what weather we will have to get through this winter

Reactions: DD

Clodagh

Visit site
Out really is so much better for them, would you want to stand in your toilet for 18/24 hours a day? (Or whatever). They have woolly coats, and can wear rugs if needed. As long as they can put their bums to a hedge or shelter from whichever way the weather is ccoming leave them out. Stop anthromorphising (spelling probably wrong there) and enjoy the decreased workload. :)

Abi90

Visit site
I’ve got mine in at the moment, but I’m really anthropomorphising. I left her out in the pouring rain the other day as I couldn’t find her in the vast field. She was off with the shetlands and obviously didn’t want to come in. Lots of grass and lots of shelter, I really should be leaving her out!!

ceva

Visit site
Thoughts please. Horses have moved to winter grazing which means half day turnout but YO has said I can stay in summer fields until January out 24/7. I said fantastic as horse a good doer and 3 of them out together. However today the weather has been vile, one horse in the herd dropping weight so YO going to bring that one in and I am worried I have made wrong decision. The advantage of being out is that it’s good for legs (23 with arthritis) but lookin at the others all tucked up warm and cosy I am now wondering if I have done the right thing.
With two only out I will bring both in and out with me so ones not left on own which is no problem.
I am also worried they will get too clingy.
I am away for 2 weeks over Xmas so I am thinking it’s good to be out moving though.
Any thoughts welcome (there is still grass for them and yo said he would put hay out when that’s eaten).
Thank you

ceva

Visit site
Hi, I am the same YO says mine can stay out, as we have still plenty of grass as eating the next years hay field down ready for spring, there is some trees to the side so can get out of the wind but no actual shelter, one in work and fully clipped, one on rest so out naked no rugs and full body of thick hair, plus gods rug 'Mud'
they are fine were out yesterday through all the rain, and high winds and when I check them they are lovely and settled rugged horse toasty warm, it is a very good fal rug with a neck he has on. the others in the livery always spend windy or rainy days and nights in but they are not exercised, so just stand in stalls doing nothing, looking bored, I'm so pleased I have left mine out, the others think I'm cruel but mine are not getting stiff or have filled legs and are mooching around happily, lots of grass and hay and fresh water and I check them twice a day, much happier than cooped up day and night. Leave them out they are much healthier and save money on bedding.

Reactions: tda

rextherobber

Visit site
I'm lucky enough to have all year,24 hour turnout, but the field is small, and has no shelter at all, so I bring in on the bad nights, and leave out when it's ok, which also helps save the field from becoming too badly poached. Last winter, I think I bought in just about every night, it was so wet.

Nasicus

Visit site
If you've got 24/7 turnout, and YO is happy for them to be out, use it! I like to leave mine out 24/7 too (middle aged mare has osteoarthritis in fronts), but have been having to bring them in overnight due to the horrendous rain to avoid decimating the winter field before winter has really even started! Leaving them where they are now means the winter field will last till later in the year when you do use it :)

pistolpete

Visit site
As soon as you start bringing in they will hang around by the gate waiting for hay and feed on tap. Mine are staying out with shelter unless it becomes unsafe to leave them out. Surprising how much grass they find too. Masses of poo always a good indicator they have enough to eat!!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Depends on the individual horse, mine is out in the day, in at night. This suits her but I'd definitely lean towards out 24/7 for yours because of the arthritis. I wouldn't worry about others looking snug, well I would be we shouldn't! Its been really mild for the time of year and there's always an extra rug. I'd just keep a close eye on weight. Who knows how long the winter will drag on for, I'd take the turnout while it's an option.

Annagain

Visit site
Mine are in overnight now because the yard rules say they have to be. They're both 22 and I'd much rather they stay out as they're starting to be a little bit stiff in the mornings but they don't show any signs when they're out even when it's quite cold (they only started coming in a week ago). Wrap him up warm, make sure he has plenty of hay and he'll be grand. January's only a few weeks away now and then you'll be wishing he could be out again! Make it easy for both of you for as long as possible. There's nothing to stop you bringing him in if he doesn't cope.

Donuts

Visit site
thanks All, your right pressure from others plays a key part. It’s a part livery yard and so obviously I am paying for lots I don’t use, my choice and I accept that as would rather my horse happy but everyone thinks I am nuts.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
After my horses flatly refused to go out after their tea they are now in. However they are on clay and the ground is already torn up and pure mud. If I had a huge field with shelter and limited mud I would leave mine out all year. best place for them imo. If however the conditions are harsh then I have no problem with them coming in

Denbob

Visit site
I'd love to still be out 24/7 but unfortunately clay fields don't lend themselves well to that so beastie is in at night. Had to keep in during the day yesterday as the other girls in my field want to spare it as much trauma as possible so with the last few days of miserable rain they decided to have a day in and I didn't want him to be on his own in the dark in case he was a k**b to bring in! Hopefully that's not a regular occurrence though.

Nasicus

Visit site
As soon as you start bringing in they will hang around by the gate waiting for hay and feed on tap. Mine are staying out with shelter unless it becomes unsafe to leave them out. Surprising how much grass they find too. Masses of poo always a good indicator they have enough to eat!!
So true on the poo! We had our lot out on somewhat bare pasture 24/7 over summer, but they were obviously finding plenty to eat judging by the amount of poo hah!