Outdoor living - Is this okay?

quirky

Visit site
Firstly, let me just say that I or my family have never had an outdoor dog. The only outdoor dogs I know are at the stables and they have a much nicer set up. So, my expectations may be skewed :eek:.

I pass a house regularly and at different times of the day. The dog I see has always been in its' enclosure, I haven't seen it out and about in the 10 months (or so) they have lived there. The house doesn't have any gates, so I can understand why the dog doesn't roam free.

There is a shed, attached to the side of this shed is metal netting wire, so it looks like an aviary. It is the length of the shed and about half the width, so not huge. The dog gets the wire enclosure, there is no cut through to the shed. At one end, is a kennel not dissimilar to this:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_kennels_flaps/dog_kennel_pitched_roof/226903

The dog, looks to be a Giant Schnauzer (or the other breed that looks very similar but I can't remember what they're called :eek:).

Now I may be soft, but every time I pass this dog is sat at the door, where he/she comes out and I feel desperately sorry for it. It does have room for a leg stretch, but not much. Apart from it's small kennel, it doesn't have any shelter from the elements ... I'm up North, it's usually raining and windy :rolleyes:
I'm not suggesting this dog doesn't go out, it must do, well I hope it does!

So, am I being soft, or should I feel sorry for it?

* I have considered giving the dog warden a ring (I know her) so they can drive past and observe but I don't want to be an interfering busy body if this is acceptable outdoor living. *
Don't be too harsh with me, it upset me to see it all last winter and the thought of it being in there day in day out makes me a little bit sad :(.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Maybe it comes in at night? I can understand why you feel bad, but in an enclosure that small if it was living in there without proper care all the time you'd know about it (faeces etc) so like you say, it must be coming out of there.

We've had a dog we catergorically couldn't keep in the house when I was a baby, she slept out in the shed and when we weren't in. The RSPCA were duly called to our house, where it was demanded we bring the dog in for him to see. After she'd wiped out the coffee table, jumped on his lap (covering him in slobbery labxspringer snogs) and tried to get up on the kitchen counter the guy begged us to put her back out and left. :D

It's not how I choose to keep my dogs but some people do. I guess so long as the dog is cleaned, exercised and fed/watered, it's doing better than thousands :(

quirky

Visit site
Maybe it comes in at night?

Well I have passed as late as 10pm and been back through at 7am (it's on the way to the stables) and it has still been in.
I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I had never seen the dog out of the "run". If I passed at set hours, I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's seems that any random time of the day or night, it's in :(

I think I'm just soft :eek:

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Well you never know, maybe they are just pulling it in after you go past?
I guess I'm soft too, because I feel bad when I see dogs caged up outside, however, I try to think that just because you can't see them, there could well be (lets face it there ARE) dogs locked up inside for the same amount of time and I think I'd probably prefer to be outside if I could choose :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
For peace of mind I would give the dog warden a ring, what harm can that do, they might come back and say the dog is fine and is only there at certain times of the day or they might have to give the owner some advice.

I dont think you are soft at all, just a concerned dog lover.:)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dogs live outside in runs with kennels and one comes in at night. If you were to pass my house only at certain times of the day you would think they never got out. The young dog comes in at any time between 8-11.30pm. The older dog hates the heat and paces in the house so he lives inside. They do get out, obviously!!! They have the same amount of room for a leg stretch as they would do in a living room with furniture.
They sprawl around anywhere.
If it is a Giant Schnauzer or similar, they are double coated and can cope with the cold.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've posted on here before about the dog owned by a neighbour. The poor animal is on a chain 24/7. The woman has previously owned sled dogs and some large mastiff type. I have never, ever, seen the dogs exercised outside the kennel in over 12 years. There now seems to be just the one dog which is out of sight of the road, presumably because of the constant complaints. The woman has been away for three months and arranged for someone to come in once a day to feed and water.

The SSPCA are well aware of this because I now have a new neighbour who has a house between myself and the dog owner and we have both complained. I complain at regular intervals but nothing is ever done. The woman is very clever with her words and is occasionally on the radio, etc. as part of her business so I think they are scared stiff of her!

I am a practical farmer and have kept a lot of dogs outside all my life, including hounds. I am certainly not soft but, frankly, this situation disgusts me but there seems nothing can be done. Every time I complain I just get referred back to SSPCA who listen to the owner's excuses and do nothing.

End of rant. If you feel an animal is being badly treated, report it to the authorities. They probably won't do much but at least it will be on record for when something DOES go badly wrong and they might be glad of another witness.

PiggyB

Visit site
My neighbours keep their dogs outside and they are a lovely, friendly pair of characters who seem happy and healthy. They are walked regularly but I very rarely, see them on their walks as I work and am busy otherwise.

If the dog looks healthy and is in clean conditions, I would just observe for a little longer before taking any action. Dogs are very good at looking at you 'in that way' and it isnt necessarily a sign that they are being mistreated! Our dogs live in with the free run of all the house, and pretty much rule the roost. 9/10 when our lab looks at you, he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders and it really does break your heart!!

quirky

Visit site
It isn't the cold I am concerned about, it is the lack of leg stretch space.
I don't doubt the dog goes out, as I said in the previous post.
I just feel incredibly sad when I see it day after day sat at the door to come out.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If the yard was fenced, the dog might still sit in a particular spot every day (and I know a lot of dogs who do this).

Some dogs just park themselves in a particular spot when not active, I know mine do, no matter how much space they have to play with.

Also, if I were to look at my living room from above, furniture included, my dogs would have exactly the same amount of floorspace in their pen, just with fresh air and more to look at.

If you are confident that the dog is being exercised and stimulated at other times then I would not worry :)

suzysparkle

Visit site
Mine all live outside. A couple of them come in at night, and the rest come in alternately. We have 2 big runs, plenty room for them to run about and play. They also have boxes to go in or lie on top of. They get worked in harness and want for nothing. At this time of year they aren't worked as it's either too hot or too humid (and we have to make that call for them, they would run no matter what, and I have seen the consequnces of not making that call - not our dogs may I add). Today they were all panting just lying in the shade!

We usually have a break from mid May to mid August unless we get an odd cooler day in which case they go for a shorter run. Despite all that we have one that lies at the gate, and the rest have other favoured spots. There's no way they aren't happy. So long as the Dog is getting out I wouldn't worry. He's probably less restricted than most Horses kept in stables are! What would be better is if he had a pal!! Mine are always playing and running about!

PS When mine do come in....they just lie and sleep!!

quirky

Visit site
Your set up sounds ideal ss ... I like the idea of him being able to go and stand under shelter, not having to lie in kennel.

If he was lying down too, I wouldn't feel so bad but he is always sitting up.

Ah well, I shall see what winter brings *sigh*

lilly1

Visit site
You’re obviously worried about it so why don’t you have a chat to the dog warden? At least you will know either way and done what you felt was best for the dog.