Outdoor rugs indoors

hobgoblin

Visit site
I've put my boys into h/w turnouts this week and have been leaving them on at night when in . Does anybody else do this ?
It makes me feel a bit lazy!!! But brush underneath etc as normal it just seems so much cosier to turn them out in the morning

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I've put my boys into h/w turnouts this week and have been leaving them on at night when in . Does anybody else do this ?
It makes me feel a bit lazy!!! But brush underneath etc as normal it just seems so much cosier to turn them out in the morning

I do it more often than not, bodyheat dries the rug and plus, you'd be changing them into a cold rug, which can't be nice :D

only_me

Visit site
I only own one stable rug which is a LW, and is normally used for layering!

Always leave turnouts on indoors, if they come in and the rug is wet it dries better on the horse, however if horse is wet then I would change rugs.

I don't see any problem in leaving turnouts on in the stable :)

Ali2

Visit site
Yep I do. When they're wet they dry so much better on the back of a horse rather than hanging in the barn and they don't have to have a nice warm rug taken off in the morning and swapped for a cold one!

ArabianGold

Just around the corner, take a left follow the roa
Visit site
I am still changing rugs at the moment, but that's because the weather is so mild.

When the weather takes a turn for the worse I will start to leave my mare in her T/O rugs over night.

Don't see any problems with it as long as they aren't soaked through and you leave them on, it keeps them toasty and warm and saves you time as well.

kelly_s1

Visit site
To be honest I was a massive fan of changing rugs from stable to turnout, but now I brush, ride and then put his turnout on again and even if he doesn't get ridden he is always brushed and checked for anything, his turnouts seem to fit him better than his stables as ive noticed he hasnt had the rub marks he normally gets when i leave his stable ones on over night, so i have decided to keep his turnouts on this year and it seems to work a lot better for us both, he is a proper fidget bum in the morning and when i get there and feed he just wants to get out straight away to do a wee, have a drink and eat (yes he does have food, water and bedding in his stable)

SavingGrace

Visit site
I only ever use turnout rugs both indoors and out. Holly had a LW stable rug I used for layering but Grace just has 1 turnou rug x Give me time though I will build that up in not time to around a dozen lol! Damn horse is only a 5ft9 -6ft when Holly was 6ft3 - 6ft6 lol x

Gorgeous George

Visit site
I don't own any stable rugs, just a couple of fleeces. I would only put a fresh rug on if he was actually wet under the rug, otherwise they dry lovely on the horse and I always check daily for rubs etc and to give him a brush even if i'm not riding.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
With all the liveries here the least amount of rug changes the better.

A they are all in turns outs now my horses all 4 1/2 of them
and 2 livereis also leave them in turnouts

a. rugs dry better
b. they go out in morning all lovely and tosty instead of a cold turnout
c. they dont get covered in poo
d. less rug cleaning each year.

The only stable rugs ( not under rugs) i have are their godolphin rugs ( fal\0 because all mine have goliath rugs all nearly £ 400 worth of rug ) and not having them wrecked in poo as they only wear those in the snow timer ie jan feb .

Its not lazy its practical . sold all the other stable rugs on ebay last year just have one more tasker rug to sell i think its 350 grms

wet rugs if removed tend to get wet on the inside in the morning thats because the body heat normally drives the wet to the surface if removed water sinks into rug

Last edited:

becca1305

Visit site
I sometimes leave t/os on my lot if they aren't damp underneath, and are the right warmth for the night especially if they have mud on which needs to dry and drop off! However Ive got a nice system for my mare who now has premier equine liner system. She often needs the same liner for t/o as for night through winter so I strip her t/o outer off leaving the liner on her and put her stable rug outer on, so the outdoor rug can air overnight on the rug rack. She stays nice and cosy and doesn't have a cold rug put on her back so works out pretty well :) also the stable rug material is very similar to t/o and doesn't absorb moisture from wee/poo like most stable rugs do. Im really liking the PE rugs if the longevity is as good as the practicality, comfort and fit then I shall gradually swap all my lot into them in the future I think :).

Edit to say - I don't like leaving her in her t/o outer because she rubs sometimes when stabled and has ruined the fabric on a t/o rug before which I stabled her in so it leaked.

Last edited:

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
I use turnout rugs in the stable as well, for all the reasons others have said about warmth, drying etc. I always brush every day though to check he's all ok.
HS x

trottingon

Visit site
I haven't changed rugs for about 6 years now. They get on just fine, and saves me a heap of time every day.

Not changed your rugs for six years??? Poor horses, don't they get hot in summer? ha-ha!!!

I also keep outdoor rugs on overnight in the stable. They get removed each night while I brush my horse, but then put back on for bed-time. If they are wet the horse's body heat dries them so much better this way.

Izzwizz

Visit site
I'm the opposite to everyone else, prefer stable rugs inside, turnouts outside. Took the Premier Eqine rug off a mare I look after the other day after rain, weighed a ton! She had a different rug on the next day so didn't have to wear the wet rug. Personally prefer my horses to feel the benefit when they go out in the field rather than wearing the same weight rug all the time. Just my personal preference..

Mince Pie

Visit site
I quite like changing rugs :eek: I have a sheet which goes under their stable and turnout rugs so the bottom layer is always warm and they have it off and get a groom every night when they come in.

PennyJ

Visit site
I started doing a bit of this last year. I would add extra rugs under the t/o rug at bed time when they came in. Worked a treat and definitely best/quickest way to dry a t/o rug is on the horse. Also if weather was coming from certain direction then wind would blow rain into stable, so it made sense to do it that way. Mine do need more rugs on at night when they are in, one in particular really feels the cold.

starryeyed

Visit site
I do it when it gets cold enough - ours tend to warm up in the stables overnight but when its really cold then the turnout is the same thickness as the stable cosy i'd be using and might as well leave it on! When its not too cold i swap the turnout to a fleece.

MiCsarah

Visit site
Mine stay in turn outs. Haven't got enough time in the morning go faff with rugs. Will change if I'm riding the next morning though apart from if t/o is soaked or it won't be dry in morning

Jazzy B

Visit site
Always leave turnouts on indoors, if he comes in and his wet underneath I change it but otherwise just keeps it on - I only have a 15 minute time frame to get to work in the mornings after school run so don't have time to mess with rugs in the morning - would like too though! :)