Over 55 and being great

canteron

Visit site
I need inspiration! After months in the slow lane I have got to be bit dull and just shuffling about - I need to hear of all the people who are, like me, no longer a teenager but doing great things with their horse!

Basically, I need a kick up the ass and to be reminded its all still to go for with courage and a positive attitude!!

Hunters, jumpers, hackers, racers, plodders - anyone please help.

Thanks you !!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am only 53 and pretty slow myself right now LOL. Only hacking and dressage at present. But... my friend (in America) is 69 and competes cutting, one competing at the moment and training another. Both horses at home, no help. She rocks!

I have been assured that once 'the change' is over, my energy etc will come back to some degree. I can only hope so.

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Hi, I am 69 and still riding as you are, just hacking and enjoying it immensely, When I was 60 I did 24 days hunting that year.
It is now 2 years since I last went hunting see picture left, and I won’t say I’ll never go again but because of the cost and I prefer to go with a friend and I don’t have any transport now as I’ve sold my lorry, I probably won’t be going this year. I think it often depends on the horse you have if you have the right horse and It is very settled and happy doing all equestrian disciplines age is no barrier. I am however more conscious of my own safety so always consider this when going out riding, especially when I’m Going out on my own I just stay as safe as possible. I’m very lucky as the horse I have is 100% so I feel that helps a lot. Life is too short to limit yourself enjoy it all while you can.

Pedantic

Visit site
Over 65, got a bit bored with hacking after over 16 years of it, also with the covid problem and hacking routes rammed with bad parking really bad drivers and people everywhere, we spent more time in the menage, had fun with flags bunting brolly etc, cantering around the menage with a large flag flapping like a military general is rather fun, practiced some dressage, and wow we change canter leads in a straight line, canter more collected etc etc, started jumping a bit again, pony locked on and jumped great, focusing on other stuff helps, spent 2.5 hours desensitizing my friends horse to rope swinging bunting riding with flag brolly etc, rewarding feeling when it gets there :), I suggest you try something different to focus on :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'm not yet as old as you lot, but I will be one day, and I'm determined to not slow down just because according to my date of birth I am supposed to be "old".

For as long as I'm in good enough health, I'm determined to ride to the best of my ability and with all the energy I can muster.

Up to now, I've just done dressage (because it's required for passing the "Galop" tests), some low jumping (also required for the tests, but very useful for hacking), hacking and some longer full-day, two-day and three-day trekking (with a support vehicle to transport our supplies, electric fence, camping equipment). Oh, and very, very basic mounted archery.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
58 and going to the Cotswold Farm Park fun ride today. I don’t compete as I don’t enjoy it but I go to RC clinics, day camps, the gallops, hack, Trec when there are any close enough to me, riding holiday with a HHO’er friend last year and volunteer as a fence judge at my local BE XC course.

J&S

Visit site
I did this the year I was 70. Admittedly I took a couple of L fences but we were clear and came 10th out of 30! TBH it was mostly down to the lovely old horse who I have the ride on. With him I do arena Trec which he is brilliant at and I hack him for miles around S. Hams. With my own ponies at home, since lock down, I have got into on line comps and I do Horse Agility, Western Trail and Trec. We are currently on a team (!) and competing against teams from other countries. So, no excuses, get out there, get fit and try something new. I was nearly your age when I broke in my last pony it never occurred to me that we couldn't do any thing we wanted to.

Attachments

• IMG_5123 (4).jpeg
    IMG_5123 (4).jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 41

palo1

Visit site
I am not there yet but I have lots of friends that are taking on the world after 55! A local legend at 80 still trail and drag hunts 2 days a week almost every week and complains that we don't do enough jumping :) It is brilliant to see how even with a heart condition and rather stiffening joints she still enjoys it so much and is there at the end of the day :) Another friend in her late 60s has just taken on a youngster which she plans to take competing and several others have set themselves a high bar in the dressage etc stakes. I think it helps enormously (and I do know this personally having had some health challenges) to find and perhaps change ways of managing your life slightly differently; it's always worth investigating how a change of eating habits and patterns of exercise can help. I think it is really easy to get stale and stuck in various life 'ruts' and questioning everything is a good place to start.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think that knocking about with younger people also helps you stay active and keeps your mind agile.

My late father-in-law was a physics professor up his retirement; I'm convinced that being always surrounded by undergraduate and post-graduate students helped keep his mind young, and having six grandchildren of various ages helped a lot, too.

My mum, although physically a bit fragile (I can't count the number of times she's broken her wrists, and at the moment is recovering from a broken ankle), takes a very active role in caring for my late brother's children.

Brownmare

Visit site
I am only just the wrong side of 40 but my first employer was in her 70s and took me to a few hunt meets, one of which was an 80th birthday lawn meet for a lady who was still hunting sidesaddle and jumping everything too!
My Mum is late 60s and had brain surgery last year but has recently started hacking again too. She has no great ambitions to do anything more but we are tentatively planning a multi-day ride on the Pennine Bridleway for next year.

suebou

Visit site
63, with many broken bits.....riding three, veteran new forest(fast and furious) 16.3 dwb mare and 5 yo ex racer....only hacking but I’m teaching the youngster to hack confidently, moving sideways, do gates etc, . No competition stuff, done that and it’s daughters turn now! I’m really not ready to stop yet but tacking up the bigger two has taught me to be creative and them to be patient and tolerant!

Skib

sites.google.com
I started when I was older than you are - I never planned on doing great things. I did turn out to have long and good relationships with two mares and hopefully will get the same with current share.

I guess my approach remains experimental - how soon after starting to ride a new horse will the horse transition to trot without a leg aid? Will she trot halt back up and trot again? Is her mind on my mind? Am I reading her body language? Yes, I can tell when we reach a spot where other riders ask for canter. Have I diverted enough from her routine rides so that the initiative now lies with me. Can I place her left fore exactly on the spot I decide.

I wanted to hack - and that is what I did and do. Dressage in the school is preparation of a good riding horse and the safe riding horse gives one access to a landscape - but te horse may switch off. When we are allowed to ride on a sports field will she do a dressage test out there in the open with all the distraction of people and cars? My mind is full of questions when I ride. So I like to stop on a hack and do a halt and turn or two.

Perry Wood suggests riding like somebody else and that is a fun thing to do. I had videos of Pippa Funnel. My RS lesson horses would walk across the diagonal and canter by the next corner, me gathing up the reins like Charlotte di J.

There are things I cant yet do which I would like to master. Branaghan say one should sit on a horse at halt and be able to move any of the four feet. I tried this in a couple of riding lessons - not managed it. I havent mastered cantering second on a horse that wants to lead.
I am not very good at riding with no reins (no neck strap either). I have used ropes a lot and fancy trying free work instead.

I suppose if you have been riding all your life and it feels like riding a bike - just getting on and it goes like clockwork then it could become boring. Ansd as riding is risky, I really wouldnt bother. But every night when I go to bed, I think of the horse and try to believe I will ride her again.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
I'm currently 51 and planning to breed my first foal - my mare will go to stud next year, so the foal won't be born until 2022. By the time it is old enough to be backed I will be 56. Confidence and 'impostor syndrome' has really held me back in the past but as this will probably be my last horse, I have decided to look at 'proper' dressage stallions with the aim of breeding something that will finally take me up the levels. As the saying goes, 'Go Large or Go Home'!!

In any case, the oldest competitor in the dressage at the London Olympics was 71, so I've got years ahead of me yet!

canteron

Visit site
I did this the year I was 70. Admittedly I took a couple of L fences but we were clear and came 10th out of 30! TBH it was mostly down to the lovely old horse who I have the ride on. With him I do arena Trec which he is brilliant at and I hack him for miles around S. Hams. With my own ponies at home, since lock down, I have got into on line comps and I do Horse Agility, Western Trail and Trec. We are currently on a team (!) and competing against teams from other countries. So, no excuses, get out there, get fit and try something new. I was nearly your age when I broke in my last pony it never occurred to me that we couldn't do any thing we wanted to.
Im 69 this year, about to go out and compete at AM and working on piaffe and passage. And have got a young horse to work on. Also intend to start hunting again this year.
63, with many broken bits.....riding three, veteran new forest(fast and furious) 16.3 dwb mare and 5 yo ex racer....only hacking but I’m teaching the youngster to hack confidently, moving sideways, do gates etc, . No competition stuff, done that and it’s daughters turn now! I’m really not ready to stop yet but tacking up the bigger two has taught me to be creative and them to be patient and tolerant!
You are my new role models ?

canteron

Visit site
I started when I was older than you are - I never planned on doing great things. I did turn out to have long and good relationships with two mares and hopefully will get the same with current share.

I guess my approach remains experimental - how soon after starting to ride a new horse will the horse transition to trot without a leg aid? Will she trot halt back up and trot again? Is her mind on my mind? Am I reading her body language? Yes, I can tell when we reach a spot where other riders ask for canter. Have I diverted enough from her routine rides so that the initiative now lies with me. Can I place her left fore exactly on the spot I decide.

I wanted to hack - and that is what I did and do. Dressage in the school is preparation of a good riding horse and the safe riding horse gives one access to a landscape - but te horse may switch off. When we are allowed to ride on a sports field will she do a dressage test out there in the open with all the distraction of people and cars? My mind is full of questions when I ride. So I like to stop on a hack and do a halt and turn or two.

Perry Wood suggests riding like somebody else and that is a fun thing to do. I had videos of Pippa Funnel. My RS lesson horses would walk across the diagonal and canter by the next corner, me gathing up the reins like Charlotte di J.

There are things I cant yet do which I would like to master. Branaghan say one should sit on a horse at halt and be able to move any of the four feet. I tried this in a couple of riding lessons - not managed it. I havent mastered cantering second on a horse that wants to lead.
I am not very good at riding with no reins (no neck strap either). I have used ropes a lot and fancy trying free work instead.

I suppose if you have been riding all your life and it feels like riding a bike - just getting on and it goes like clockwork then it could become boring. Ansd as riding is risky, I really wouldnt bother. But every night when I go to bed, I think of the horse and try to believe I will ride her again.
Good advice thanks

quizzie

Visit site
60...only stepped back from eventing (up to advanced) about 3 years ago, when I retired my main horse, and decided my core strength and reaction speed were no longer good enough for that level, the margins of error are too small !

...but my competitive nature means I have set a new goal of learning tempi changes , and trying to teach them to my opinionated old eventer!...we are currently AM, but schooling the PSG movements at home...the flying changes are a bit over excited at the moment!!.

....Oh, and both horses I ride are over 17.2...I never learn.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Such a great post! I’m 51 and feel as if I’m treading water as some chronic injuries are defo holding me back, and now no horse to ride (and very unaccomodating hip joints) mean I cannot physically ride at the moment... but it’s not over yet, just a short glitch. OP I wish you bucketfuls of good health, energy and enthusiasm in the hope that I can have all those too!

Cloball

Visit site
So I am not even thirty yet but I found book called Horseshoes and Holy water very inspiring. It's by a very funny English lady who rides, with her sister, to Santiago De Compostela from her house at the age of, I think, 58. I have always wanted to do some long distance rides and I feel hopeful that even though I have failed to even buy a horse before 30 my dream might still happen.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm 72 later this year and a very late starter to riding. I second the suggestion of having younger friends especially if they ride and have a good sense of humour. Last year I had an illness and an injury which stopped me riding + a relatively new mare then a three month break because of Covid so tbh I've lost some fitness and confidence. I needed a plan to get myself going again, so Rose went away to be brought back into work and sinc e she's been home I have lessons, outings and hacks planned for 6 days each week. I am struggling to work properly in a 40/45 minute lesson so ATM my trainer will ride for the first 15 mins and I do the rest, when I'm fitter we'll revisit this. I've also bought an air jacket which has helped with the confidence issue and I'm back doing pilates to try to improve my core stability and Iwalk the dog for the best part of an hour each day and try to really step out, particularly up a hill. I do dressage really but decided to do a bit of showing, which I've no experience of and I'm determined to be braver with my off road hacking. I've posted this pic of Rose before, but this was the week before lockdown and I was so proud of her (although she was bit naughty to warm up!).Rose Strourport Riding horse Class March 20.jpeg

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
God I wish I lived closer to some of you inspirations. I’m 56 and essentially hack and have lessons..I’m not terribly into competition now but sometimes take part in local shows. Like Red 1 I think the menopause Is sapping my energy as I’m finding excuses not to ride currently....but my girl is very forgiving about it.
I once was on a yard with a lady who competed dressage and riding club competitions into her 70s on a 17 hand warm blood....very impressive.

Keira 8888

Visit site

oh my goodness this is amazing! Great job! Beautiful horse ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
I'm 72 later this year and a very late starter to riding. I second the suggestion of having younger friends especially if they ride and have a good sense of humour. Last year I had an illness and an injury which stopped me riding + a relatively new mare then a three month break because of Covid so tbh I've lost some fitness and confidence. I needed a plan to get myself going again, so Rose went away to be brought back into work and sinc e she's been home I have lessons, outings and hacks planned for 6 days each week. I am struggling to work properly in a 40/45 minute lesson so ATM my trainer will ride for the first 15 mins and I do the rest, when I'm fitter we'll revisit this. I've also bought an air jacket which has helped with the confidence issue and I'm back doing pilates to try to improve my core stability and Iwalk the dog for the best part of an hour each day and try to really step out, particularly up a hill. I do dressage really but decided to do a bit of showing, which I've no experience of and I'm determined to be braver with my off road hacking. I've posted this pic of Rose before, but this was the week before lockdown and I was so proud of her (although she was bit naughty to warm up!).View attachment 51169
Lovely pic - you both look v elegant x

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm 59 and do affiliated dressage. Still only at prelim and novice levels at the moment, but we got to Area Festival regionals last year and I'm hopeful of getting up to elementary fairly soon. I leave the jumping to my young sharer now though ?

Noodle13

New User
Visit site
Hi am 50 next few days, couple autoimmune diseases etc & v menopausal totally doolally sometimes. Not ridden properly for over 10 years my old girl couldn't be ridden for last few years of her life. A year ago took on a rescue coblet youngster (18 mnths old) in back of my mind I thought holy cr*p I'm having a mid life crisis, never done this before despite being around horses my entire life. He had high worm burden, never had feet touched or been washed my mindset was at least he's safe if I get into trouble (ie can't help him without ruining him) will find him good home so just set about teaching him basic manners etc. A year later he's healthy, happy, just bitted him last week (not a murmer, just wants to learn more my rough goal get him used to everything & back properly when he's 3 next year) during most recent foot trim tried to sleep on bsmiths shoulder am just blown away by his resilience & what a loving trusting character he is. During lockdown started riding friends rescue coblet (she key worker) & found my joy again. Am never going to set world on fire but lost 3/4 stone so far (motivating factor being light enough to be in tune with my boy when I do get on him) am prob happier than been for years. So never give up on anything that lights you up within - even if you fall face down you still moving forward?thank you for such inspirational thread

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
58, do lots of RC stuff from polework sj and xc (covid permitting), hack daily, miffed that 2 x RC camps cancelled, love bombing round gallop tracks too. Neither of us keen on ballet dancing tho lol
I ride my bright sharp bouncy 14hh, tho safe enough for folk to want me to escort them hacking. Shes been under saddle properly 19 months, I bought her on her breeding, unseen except for photos.

Yes, I've aches and pains, arthritis is s pesky nuisance, but if bad then I dose myself up and crack on. This shutdown has taught me to keep taking with both hands and enjoy what I have :)