Over at the knee - Buy or leave well alone?!

VictoriaEDT

www.equinedental.co.uk
Hello

I have been offered a horse (no cost) who is 5years ols ID X TB 17.2hh. The lady who offered him to me bought him a year ago with a passed 5 stage vetting for eventing and noticed recently that his gait was changing so had a vet investigate. He told her he had a very minor suspensory injury (due to her beginning jumping small x poles) caused by a conformational defect as he is over at the knee. The vet has said he will be fine for hacking but not eventing.

Now my problem, do I take him on? I only want a horse as a companion for my boy as we are moving to a house with land. I would want to hack but not compete. I want to give this boy a second chance but dont want to take on a horse that will cost lots in regular vet visits (at such a young age too) and incur related compensatory injuries.

Does anyone know horses that are forward in the knee due to conformation and are doing well? Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks

Victoria

Blizzard

Visit site
I posted on the new lounge about this
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
Over at the knee, I believe, is way better than being back at the knee! I was thinking about buying a horse who was over at the knee - he would stand with his front knees out with them trembling! But the horse had happily evented at a low level and done BSJA successfully. So it didnt seem to stop him. I believe he was sold on to a show jumping home as well. I was told its actually quite a good thing as it takes the strain off the tendons. But in that horses case, he was born like that. My worry with this horse is that it was from an injury. Is his gate still changing or has it settled completely (ie. wont get any worse). Id speak to the vet who looked at the horse and also get my own vet to have a look then take it from there. If the horse has never actually been lame with it then it shouldnt be a problem just for hacking. I would assume she isnt asking much for the horse because of this?!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
That is a big horse to use as a feild companion and would cost more to feed, rug ect than a smaller native. Even though they do not want anything for him he is a big horse . Do they know if this is a result of an injury to the check ligament or congenital?
if it is As a result of injury the column of the leg is weakened, the horse is prone to stumble and lose balance due to the reduced flexibility.
If congenital more stress is applied to the tendons and check ligaments. the tendons and fetlocks are in increased tension at all times so the horse is predisposed to injury of the suspensory and sesamoid bones.
I suspect the former, if he was passed for eventing five stage, then this would have been picked up if it was congenital.

However, if you can get a good veterinary opinion on him, they may be able to enlighten you more to the probability of reacurring injuries and bills.

regards
Dawn

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
I had a jumping horse who was over at the knee. I wouldnt suggest buying a competition horse who is over (the one i had was cheap so i took a risk)
But as a hack i cant see it being a problem, only if you was going to put his kjoints and knees under pressure would you get problems

Jemayni

Visit site
I was talking to my farrier about this the other day as a horse that I am schooling (4yo ID x TB, 16.2.) Which is over at the knee; he said that a fair few Irish horses are either over or back at the knee, but he's only ever seen one or two with high suspensory problems as a result. I know that is not really that much help, but I just found it interesting....

My opinion on it is that unless you have a large amount of money to spend; you are not going to get a horse that is perfectly formed with a perfect mind....

anitacollier

New User
Visit site
personally i'd leave well alone. ligament injuries never completely heal and you wont get the horse insured. i understand you will be just hacking and the horse would make a good companion but it could be protentially heart renching if something happens and your left to pay the bill too.