Overeating

seabiscuit

Visit site
Would it worry you if a small 16hand TB, that was on box rest, was eating over a bale to a bale and a half of hay a day in rampant hunger?
It is just that in 20 years of owning horses/ponies,and working on different yards, I have never come across something that has needed to eat quite so much! So- normal, or abnormal ( well its an abnormal horse anyway
tongue.gif
)

Louby

Visit site
I think I'd worry if he was underweight.
My horse would eat until he popped! He finishes his haylage and bangs the door for more when YO does evening check and weve loads of grass and hes fed too much haylage as it is.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If he isn't getting over weight then I wouldn't worry at all. His gut is obviously working well it's probably down to boredom that he's eating so much. If he was out in a field he's be eating all day & when in the stable he'll eat whatever hay you give him. When you actually think about it most horses probably eat that much but we don't realise it. If his weight goes up too much then re assess.

S_N

Visit site
If it's F then I wouldn't worry! It is his main source of roughage - maybe his body is telling him he needs it NOW! Does that make sense? If he starts to pile weight on, then you'll have to cut it back obviously, but I personally wouldn't worry! Though my bank manager might.....

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
If you're referring to Forrest I wouldnt be worried in the slightest - As long as he's looking well I'd allow him to eat as much as he likes - It's keeping his gut moving that's for sure - Sounds like the little fella's feeling a lot better in himself - That's great news!
grin.gif

Kate x