Overground scope - has anyone had one?

Visit site
They are a pita to put on, pita to work around because you are so scared of breaking it! And a pita to take off. But they do give a very good idea of what is going on inside. We've used them a lot on the gallops. Not sure where you plan on doing the exercise.

They are worth it if you want to know what's going on. If you know your horse has a wind problem and are willing to op I'd skip the overground and go straight for the op depending on how the horses wind sounded.

Gurgling generally means vocal chords are in the way. Whistling is generally the soft palate.

Spottyappy

Visit site
My mare had one recently due to wheezing.
Came back with no problem found besides a short soft palet, which the RVC didn’t think was causing the issue.
So, I, still no further forward. They said it maybe hay fever/allergies but were not really sure!
Not much help to you or me, but at least I know it’s not needing an operation.

Visit site
It's about £120-150 for the over ground but we may get it discounted being a racing yard and doing 5-6 in a day. A wind op depends on what you get done. The full combinaries of hob day and tie forward/back is about £1200 to us so probably £1500 ish for a normal person. So tie forward/back would be about £900-1000. A plain cauterisation is about £500.

teddypops

Visit site
Yes I had one on my sec d as she was really struggling with breathing in canter. I was just at Vet hospital in their school. The result was that she has an abnormal soft palate which ballooned right up when she cantered, it completely blocked her airway. She had her soft palate cauterised to scar and stiffen it so as to prevent it ballooning up. I can’t remember how much it was as it was a couple of years ago and covered by insurance. It was well worth doing in my case as it was the only thing that could have diagnosed my girls problem.

scats

Visit site
Yes. Diva had one in May.

It wasn't a nice experience, she was very stressed and upset about it if I'm honest but it was a boiling hot day and they couldn't get the wifi to connect so she was stood for ages with it on before we started.

Found to have a pharynx collapse at exercise, then went for a tracheal wash and camera showed her whole trachea had caved in. It was this collapse of the trachea that was causing the pharynx to shut off at exercise, as she breathed in excessively hard to get enough air in.

The overground itself was quite difficult to ride with, as I ended up with a wire stuck over my reins. Pony got a nose bleed and was flinging her head around. However, most horses usually tolerate it very well I'm told.

Last edited:

teddypops

Visit site
Yes. Diva had one in May.

It wasn't a nice experience, she was very stressed and upset about it if I'm honest but it was a boiling hot day and they couldn't get the wifi to connect so she was stood for ages with it on before we started.

Found to have a pharynx collapse at exercise, then went for a tracheal wash and camera showed her whole trachea had caved in. It was this collapse of the trachea that was causing the pharynx to shut off at exercise, as she breathed in excessively hard to get enough air in.

The overground itself was quite difficult to ride with, as I ended up with a wire stuck over my reins. Pony got a nose bleed and was flinging her head around. However, most horses usually tolerate it very well I'm told.

My girl hated it. She had to be sedated to get the scope in place, so then had to stand around for ages to waken up again, she also had a pretty big nosebleed.

Visit site
Horses that are used to being scoped cope quite well with it which is why most vets seem to think horses are ok with it - because the people who use it the most are racehorse trainers and eventers. Normal horses won't like it as much. And yes, there is a high chance of a nosebleed BUT this is the least of your worries as at least you will know it is coming from the head and not the lungs.