Overly strong horsey attachments and how to cope :(

Shadowdancing

Visit site
My horse has started pacing and sweating in her box according to the grooms**, because she can't see the mare she is in a field with. A red flag is going as she has actually gone through fences in the past (slashing her chest wide open on one memorable occasion and jumping an electric fence on another) to get back to other horses she has become attached to and I'm extremely concerned.
This has happened with mares and geldings so single sex herds are not helping much. What can you do with a horse like this? I have asked that they are split up right away and kept as far away as possible as the yard has plenty of fields and land but I'm very aware of being a pain...
I wonder if it's worse as I've just come back off two weeks holiday and not seen my mare yet, so she may be missing me and feeling more clingy to her field mates? She's very sensitive and I usually see her every day... :(

**she's on part livery through the week

Also just remembered that the time she jumped an electric fence I was laid up with a broken bone and she was just turned out with a friend checking on her... maybe it's not so silly that she feels worse when I'm away...

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It may be the lack of work that makes her more clingy, assuming she has not been exercised for 2 weeks, her routine will be slightly different if you normally see her every day and do something with her, having one that gets too attached to their field mates is a pain and not always easy to deal with, work her extra hard and see if that helps occupy her mind.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
She has been worked by my two friends at least a few times, but probably not as much as I usually do with her, so yeah I guess that could be a consideration. It's an absolute nightmare, hope things will get better now I'm home and we can get back into our routine. Very worried. :(

Annagain

Visit site
Is she turned out with just this other mare? If so, would a bigger group help as there'd be less chance of her forming a strong bond with one horse?

Hopefully getting back to her routine will help.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
She was out with a group but is now back with the one big traditional cob she was out with originally... who she could take or leave...!

I brought her in last night and she was eating fine and more like herself. Today I've been up to lunge her and check on her and again all seemed well.

There are two new horses in the stables directly opposite her, one is quite agitated and I wonder if this could be contributing to her being stressed.

Back to the daily exercise- even if just 20 mins- and daily visits, so hopefully she will settle again.