Overo Thoroughbred!

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/article.php?aid=100779&cid=397

What do you feel about it?

I must say I'm not too pleased. A horse that has been bred in Britain for many hundreds of years, and suddenly this pops up in America? I'm surprised they (wetherbys) accepted him. He's obviously not 100% pure TB, they simply don't come in that colour... Must have some American breed mixed in somewhere. I know I'm probably skewbaldist, but I hope they don't allow this in the UK. I hate it when people try and change such an old and perfect breed. I feel the same way about this I do about pintabians. He's not even particularly handsome. I don't doubt that in the USA they will give coloured TBs a new name and try and make a breed out of them, like they did with Gypsy Vanners.

I hope they don't allow it in the UK. Sorry if I offended anyone in this post, I honestly don't mean to, and I do agree that half-bred TBs can often be much better riding horses then the original thing, I just don't this that he should be registered as pure.

Marilyn

Visit site
leave him to it I say! I agree, he's not the most attractive horse I've ever seen but for him to be allowed in the stud book he must have the required amount of thoroughbred blood and surely, because another horse is, say, bay, it doesn't mean that because it's a solid colour that it's definitley pure TB!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
because another horse is, say, bay, it doesn't mean that because it's a solid colour that it's definitley pure TB!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the costly business of DnA testing and blood samples makes sure that there aren't any slip-ups in that department.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I cant really see the problem, no one wanting to breed a half decent racehorse would entertain going to him. Colour means naff all in the grand scheme of things - in my book they can come out green as long as they can run!
Anyway, you dont have to be a full TB to be registered with Weatherbys. Our home breds are on the non thoroughbred register and we managed to breed a Champion Hurdle winner.

seaofdreams

Visit site
I think he is stunning
shocked.gif
!!!!

*Hides* please don't shout at me
crazy.gif
tongue.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Can't say I care either way
crazy.gif
I quite like him,and who cares what colour he is?It's highly unlikely that he'd be used by serious racehorse breeders given that thier livelihoods are dependent upon sales revenue....and no-one looking for a serious racehorse will buy a coloured TB just for the novelty value.

jinglejoys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif
I quite like him,and who cares what colour he is?It's highly unlikely that he'd be used by serious racehorse breeders given that thier livelihoods are dependent upon sales revenue....and no-one looking for a serious racehorse will buy a coloured TB just for the novelty value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the point though? Everyone SAYS a good horse is never a bad colour but won't give themthe chance to prove it
wink.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
At the bottom of the page are other colours, have a look. I love the spotty mare and the "bloody shoulder" one-cant remember their names. Dont like the white ones though. Mairi.

Bossanova

Visit site
Why not? It's obviously a new mutation in a gene, happens fairly frequently when you think about it- how do you think the different colours originated?

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the point though? Everyone SAYS a good horse is never a bad colour but won't give themthe chance to prove it
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tongue.gif

Touche
wink.gif

meandmyself

Visit site
Actually, TBs can be coloured. They carry the sabion gene, which causes white legs, white faces and chin/belly spots. Frame Overo (which is what he is!) is related to sabino. Often a horse will carry both genes.

I think it's great.

sallyf

Visit site
Actually although born in America this horse stood in Doncaster area this year although i have heard a rumour that he has been sold again to stand in Ireland.

KateStartin

Visit site
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

boss sold a very smart well bred colt foal at newmarket, he only made a fraction of what he was worth if he was a normal colour, he was roan! What breeder wants to risk that happening?

Fairynuff

Visit site
I cant see the problem with coloured TBs-"andsome is wot andsome does".Not long ago coloureds werent seen in the dressage ring and very few in the sj ring-now its becoming common place and nobody seems to bother. Had Northern Dancer been piebald Im sure his stud card would still have been full.Lordy lordy, some of us are equine colour racist
crazy.gif
. Mairi.
grin.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well he is a better looking horse then Super Splash was, (by Impressive ex Grey Flood). He raced & then stood as an HIS stallion for a while, threw some very nice offspring considering his confirmation!

sallyf

Visit site
Had a beautiful big plain bay mare by super splash many years ago related to my black stallion.
Absolutely stunning conformation and won money at newcomers and foxhunter before i sold her when she evented successfully.
Never saw a picture of him but the rest of the family had white on them.