Overpriced horseboxes...a whinge....

Frumpoon

Visit site
Following on from the thread about overpriced horses....I felt a whinge coming on about overpriced lorries....

Been looking for a lorry for what seems like forever but I genuinely think a lot of sellers are deluded about what their 25-30 year old rot box is worth....

popsdosh

Visit site
Following on from the thread about overpriced horses....I felt a whinge coming on about overpriced lorries....

Been looking for a lorry for what seems like forever but I genuinely think a lot of sellers are deluded about what their 25-30 year old rot box is worth....

Tis very true however talking as somebody who recently sold a very good 7.5T and priced it to sell people call and still want to knock chunks off .Funnily enough I acvtually sold it for more than it was advertised for to somebody who knew it.
For some reason everybody thinks if it has a good body its worth a fortune they seem to forget that whats underneath is 30yrs old and difficult to get bits for. Recently I heard of somebody who had built a new body on a 30yr old chassis I think they need certifying I tried to point out that they could have built it on a 4-5 yr old chassis which would have cost less that the cost of the body swap down the line.

WelshD

Visit site
I've just bought a 3.5t

It is a 28 year old transit

It stood doing nothing for 5 years before the previous owner bought it, they spent £2000 aprox on work to it, I bought it and spent £800 on work

Without the horsebox part its worth maybe £500 but with the horsebox back, new metalwork, welding, new wood, fuel pump, cam belt change, new MOT, safety check and a weighbridge certificate its worth a lot more despite being 28 years old and not the best looking lorry

Its not necessarily about the actual value of the cab but more how much its worth to someone as a horsebox and the opportunities it gives them

At the end of the day 3.5t lorries do normally sell well regardless of age

The larger lorries are definitely more applicable to your argument than the little ones I think

Frumpoon

Visit site
What are you looking for? True 3.5 ton boxes will always carry a premium even if they are old & require work.

7.5ton, ideally automatic but I won't pay more for an auto than the equivalent manual of similar year and condition

There's always plenty of autos around, listed at roughly twice what they are worth and they sit on the market for months and months

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Tis very true however talking as somebody who recently sold a very good 7.5T and priced it to sell people call and still want to knock chunks off .Funnily enough I acvtually sold it for more than it was advertised for to somebody who knew it.
For some reason everybody thinks if it has a good body its worth a fortune they seem to forget that whats underneath is 30yrs old and difficult to get bits for. Recently I heard of somebody who had built a new body on a 30yr old chassis I think they need certifying I tried to point out that they could have built it on a 4-5 yr old chassis which would have cost less that the cost of the body swap down the line.

I think that was me you heard of, built a new body on my j reg daf. Chassis is fine, flew threw is last three mot's with no advisories, dad is a hgv mechanic (with over thirty years experience fixing and driving lorries so we kind of know what we are on about) and can get when we need one a new chassis through his work contacts and do the body swap in the work shop so it only cost is the chassis. It will be going on a daf, the bolts and runners that hold it on haven't changed much and new body will fit.

And we totaled up the new chassis plus body which was eight thousand out of our budget. Current chassis will do the job until it's time to swap.

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
7.5ton, ideally automatic but I won't pay more for an auto than the equivalent manual of similar year and condition

There's always plenty of autos around, listed at roughly twice what they are worth and they sit on the market for months and months

Auto boxes always attract a premium unfortunately, so you may have to pay a bit more. Not twice the price though, that is a rip off!

I am trying to sell my wee wagon at the moment, people want everything with bells and whistles on for 50p! Much like those people who want the perfect horse free to a good home :-/

Spottyappy

Visit site

However, many 25-30 year old boxes are not rotted and are much more sound than newer ones.
I have a 29 year old chassis with a coach built 12 year old box. It's had work done to things like the gear box and steering rods, but the chassis is totally and utterly sound.
The mechanical stuff is par of the course whatever the boxes age imho.
And yes should I sell my box, I would be wanting a decent sum when it's been maintained regardless of cost and is safe for my horses.
That, surely, is worth it for your peace of mind. See reciepts for work and get it indeoendantly checked too before purchase.

Elsbells

Visit site
My old lorry is 30 and for me because of what she does and how well she does it, shes priceless. The best £2600 I ever spent!

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
Auto boxes always attract a premium unfortunately, so you may have to pay a bit more. Not twice the price though, that is a rip off!

I am trying to sell my wee wa
gon at the moment, people want everything with bells and whistles on for 50p! Much like those people who want the perfect horse free to a good home :-/

What you got?

Frumpoon

Visit site
Newer large vehicles are nearly all auto boxes. To the point that now you have to pay a huge premium for a manual gearbox!

True! My brief foray into fleet management about 4 years ago revealed that the entire HGV fleet of this large multinational had the opticruise auto gearbox...I guess I just need to stick with the trailer for a few more years