Overreach boots on the back?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My lad has caught himself just above the hoof on the right rear. The damage was caused by the left rear hoof. He doesn't wear shoes at the back and, being a draft horse, it's not too unusual for his back feet to be relatively close.

As it's the second time he's done it in as many weeks, I was considering a pair of overreach boots on the back for a little while.

Is this a stupid idea? I'm thinking brushing boots won't go far enough down to protect.

Any suggestions? The farrier is due to see him this week anyway but I don't think there'll be much he can do (not shod at the back but I was wondering if a trim might dull the edges)

be positive

Visit site
Try a sausage boot which should stop him getting too close and less faff than overreach boots and less likely to irritate or rub.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Driving horses often wear overreach boots behind on the marathon at driving trails it protects them if the stand on themselves turning the carriage tightly at speed and from their team mates catching them .
You can also try a little rubber sausage boot on the pastern, Prolite also used make dinky little Pastern wraps but I think they won’t go low enough.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Driving horses often wear overreach boots behind on the marathon at driving trails it protects them if the stand on themselves turning the carriage tightly at speed and from their team mates catching them .

Also on the polocrosse (horseball, and, I imagine, polo) fields, horses wear over-reaches on all four feet. Some dressage folk do it too. If you have over-reaches already, I'd use those.

alainax

Visit site
Don’t feel silly using them on the back, if he’s close behind makes sense! I use a pastern wrap which is out of fashion but useful bit of kit!

Last edited: