overreach injury

cellie

Visit site
My horse has a overreach injury but it looks more like a blister that has burst Im wondering if the boots have caused it and darent put them back on incase they are the cause.I have some mark todd which fit his hoof in a different place so I can put them back on when the leg heals.He is lame but improving I just wondered how long they normally take to heal before hes ok to ride he looks about 2/10 on lunge but ok inhand.Darent put him in school because sand will aggrivate cut.Has anyone else experienced overreach injuries.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello, yes my horse is terrible overreacher, managed to cut his whole heel of two summers ago. This obviously took months to heal as he literaly had to grow a new heel. But he did injure himself recently not as seriously and it healed over in about a month. Must say I carried on riding him, and he was fine, gave it a daily spray with hibiscrub and applied wound cream. Very difficult place to keep clean, below the hairline on his heel and dirt did get in, but it hasn't caused any problems. Main concern was the fact that he couldn't wear overreach boots while it healed, so just prayed he wouldn't injure himself in the field and did no fast ridden work.

I also use westropp petal overreach boots as I find these are the only ones which stay on/don't get trashed. I have to constantly replace the petals but they do really work, don't know if you have any recommendations for overreach boots which actually stop on.

cellie

Visit site
The Mark Todd are really robust and stay on the plastic ones make the horses heels sweat and cause different problems like splitting.I think I will have to go back to the foam roma ones for paddock turnout even though they tear quickly simply because they are soft and dont rub then use my mark todd or westropp for working in. I think Ill take him for walk out in the morning if not he will go loony in his field and cut his feet up again.
I thought I had got over these problems with my new farrier ,he said his toes were too long trimmed them back well and he stopped overreaching for a while.Could be worth you looking into if your boy causes so much damage.The boots with double closure pads all seem to stay on really well but left on too long they all rub.If it isnt one thing its another my horse is always injuring himself hes done ligament tendon cannon bone and hes only 6 hope he grows out of it soon fed up with vet bills.Have to keep a good sense of humour!!!!!!!!!!!