owners of cushings horses - opinions on cushex versus vitex please!

gothdolly

Visit site
Hi there
Has anyone with a Cushings horse used Hilton Herbs "Cushex" independantly of using Pergolide? Do you rate it as a product, or do you think that feeding straight Agnus Castus/Vitex was just as good? In particular, did you feel that Cushex helped with the weight loss that can be associated with Cushings or did this only resolve with Pergolide?

Many thanks in advance
smile.gif

Cassandra x

shell1978

Visit site
Hi Cassandra,

I never used any of those you mentioned but I have used Chasteberries.

When Lacey was in early stages of Cushings I decided to try the natural approach and gave the Chasteberries a go.
The only symptoms at that point where slightly curly coat when sweaty, puffy pockets above eyes & her pot belly.

The 1st thing I noticed was her dips above her eyes came back as they where really puffed out, so was really pleased, but then after being on Chasteberries for about 3 months, she started to wee and drink alot, then unfortunately got Laminitis, of which she is still recovering from
frown.gif

As soon as she got Lami, I got the vet out and we put her on Pergolide.

So I dont know wheather her body got immune to the Chasteberries, or that they were just not strong enough to cope with the diesease as it progressed.

Just wish I had a crystal ball, then I would have put her straight on the Pergolide & she probably would not have got Laminitis!!
crazy.gif

Shell x

sqippa

Visit site
My boy has been on Vitex for about 3 weeks, appetite is good, he has finally started to develope a bottom again! Looks like he is heading back to his old self. Can't comment on the other treatments as we've never tried it but would give a thumbs up to Vitex.

Sqip

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi there
Has anyone with a Cushings horse used Hilton Herbs "Cushex" independantly of using Pergolide? Do you rate it as a product, or do you think that feeding straight Agnus Castus/Vitex was just as good? In particular, did you feel that Cushex helped with the weight loss that can be associated with Cushings or did this only resolve with Pergolide?

Many thanks in advance
smile.gif

Cassandra x

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my boy on Cush X virtually since being diagnosed with Cushings nearly 3 years ago... but he is on Pergolide as well
frown.gif
..... funny you should say about their appetite as I have just bought a new tub, after him not having it for about a month, and his appetite is better than ever, but I am sure that this is just a coincidence
smile.gif

Whoops you did not mention appetite .... but it has come back and over the last couple of days he looks like he has put on weight ..... but it may be a fluffy winter coat on its way
confused.gif