Owners of older diesel cars

alainax

Visit site
I am sure like me you have been reading the recent news about the governments wish to convert us all onto "clean" vehicles.

We won't be any wiser until an official plan is released, I have heard everything from a scrappage scheme ( possibly aimed only at commercial vehicles) to an increase in taxes on those with diesel cars. A carrot and whip so to speak.

Out of interest I had a look for what "clean" 4x4's capable of towing 2 horses and negotiating tough terrain are currently on the market, and came up stuck.

What will happen with those who genuinely need a big older diesel? I cant afford to buy a new car. I need a car suitable for the horsey life.

skint1

Visit site
I too share your concern, I have no idea what I'll do. I wish someone could invent a filter or something to make them less polluting, had no idea they were so polluting.

Shay

Visit site
At the moment the only firm plan is a variation on the low emissions zone to raise the charge by £10 for older vehicles entering the zone. Although there have been calls for a scrappage scheme etc the government is only rumored to be thinking of doing this. Even if there as such a scheme - as there was for older vehicles a few years ago - it isn't going to be mandatory. Although it is technically possible to raise the tax on diesel fuel even more than it already is that will hit road hauliers and the transport system far more than private motorists and so isn't likely to work long term. Think what it would do to food prices for a start.

If we want to keep driving our old diesels we will be able to I'm sure.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'll just pay any tax when I go into a town .
Diesel is good option for those of us you need off road vehicles that can tow and generally do ' country ' type job a Diesel gives better miles to the gallon than a petrol vehicle for that type of work and that better for the environment.
Alternatively I just drive about my V8 petrol Range Rover if I go any where taxed .
Particulates are a problem in cities but I am not sure how we can supply the needs of a city like London without huge numbers of diesel trucks .

pennyturner

Visit site
How 'polluting' your diesel vehicle is depends very much on what kind of driving you do. The catalytic and exhuast recirculation systems only work when the engine is up to temperature, so if you only do short runs you'll have problems with emissions and premature wear of your engine. If you do serious mileage and/or need an economical towing vehicle, diesel is still the best choice.

They're trying to get rid of them from cities, where the stop-start, short distance drivers shouldn't have bought them in the first place, The previous government conned everyone into buying unsuitable vehicles with scrappage schemes to boost to new car sales. Now they have another 'opportunity' to get everyone to buy yet another new car. It's good for the economy, but ecologically it's a disaster, as most of the energy used by a car goes into it's materials and manufacture in the first place.

Same with the boiler scrappage scheme. Lots of people bought overpriced modern boilers thinking they were getting a bargain, who should have stuck with the more reliable older technology.

alainax

Visit site
Although it is technically possible to raise the tax on diesel fuel even more than it already is that will hit road hauliers and the transport system far more than private motorists and so isn't likely to work long term. Think what it would do to food prices for a start.

If we want to keep driving our old diesels we will be able to I'm sure.
I thought more along the lines of ramping up the private vehicle road tax, in order to avoid the hit on haulage.

I doubt they will force us, but they can certainly make life much more difficult!

They're trying to get rid of them from cities, where the stop-start, short distance drivers shouldn't have bought them in the first place, The previous government conned everyone into buying unsuitable vehicles with scrappage schemes to boost to new car sales. Now they have another 'opportunity' to get everyone to buy yet another new car. It's good for the economy, but ecologically it's a disaster, as most of the energy used by a car goes into it's materials and manufacture in the first place.

Same with the boiler scrappage scheme. Lots of people bought overpriced modern boilers thinking they were getting a bargain, who should have stuck with the more reliable older technology.
I work in the city, live in the countryside. I can see the point with people who have bought them for no real reason, but seems like the rest of us who need a beefy 4x4 are going to be feeling it in the pocket sometime soon!

It's the buses round here who are the major pollutants, I hardly see any 4x4s in town, but hundreds and hundreds of buses with black smoke spewing out of them. Investments might be far better made in green public transport.

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
I've just been looking into how much road tax I pay.

Can anyone explain why I pay £540 a year when band k says it's £295? I'm completely missing something here! Car is year 2006. I've been paying the £540 for a few years I'm sure.

Theocat

Visit site
I have to say I'm torn. I "need" a towing vehicle so that I can tow the trailer, and being skint / stingy I have an older, polluting diesel. As a horse owner, it's realistically the most affordable option to do what I love. But as a human being who worries about the environment, it does bother me.

Horses are a choice, and a luxury that many can't afford. It doesn't sit well with me that I'm chucking out lots of pollution to pursue my hobby, so if the costs go up, I wouldn't feel able to object, or moan about it. It might make me rethink my transport, but then, that's the point of the higher charges ...

Goldenstar

Visit site
The thing is it's not an planet thing for the environment diesel is best for jobs that you need a lot of grunt for it gives you more mpg therefore less global heating .
This is a people problem particulates make people ill .
I have never seen a breakdown of how much of the issue is caused by the movement of all the goods a big city needs and how much by cars .
If you live in a city and spend your time driving round that city then it's a no brainer electric / hybrid is the way to go if indeed you need a car .

Shay

Visit site
Alainax - I think the amount of road tax you pay is based on the emissions certificate with your MOT. So if you are paying £540 you either have a band L car (226 - 255g/km) or a late registered 2006 car. Vehicles emitting up to 225g but registered before 23rd March 2006 went into band K - but if you were registered after that you would go into band L. I think....

sywell

Visit site
They could introduce the old rate for diesels which was I think called farm vehicles tax rate where you needed the pulling power and did not pollute cities.

popsdosh

Visit site
I've just been looking into how much road tax I pay.

Can anyone explain why I pay £540 a year when band k says it's £295? I'm completely missing something here! Car is year 2006. I've been paying the £540 for a few years I'm sure.

If it was registered after 23/03/06 and over 225g/km you pay £540 What vehicle is it ? up to that date band K was the top one.