Owning an Irish draught is worse than being married.

Mike007

Visit site
I am now being made to suffer ! My ID is definately giving me the cold sholder. All I did was take him to the dentist to have his teeth sorted out. But no ,he cannot see the logic behind it and now will not talk to me. In fact he pointedly makes a fuss of anyone else in front of me just to prove that I am being shunned. Even bunches of carrots do not do the trick,they are taken and eaten ,but the underlying message is that"I am only eating this because if I dont you will give it to some other horse"Should we seek counselling?

LynH

Visit site
If I even turn the trimmers on in another stable my ID mare won't come near me for a week. Fortunately she has to be sedated for the dentist or I'm sure if be ignored for a month.

Mike007

Visit site
Oh yes they sedated him all right , yet as soon as the vacuum pump for the dentists tools was switched on ,he came right out of it. They had to give him enough to knock out an elephant,AND STUFF COTTON WOOL IN HIS EARS!!!!And he still glared at me throughout the whole procedure! Should we have a trial separation?

Ladyinred

Visit site
Oh yes they sedated him all right , yet as soon as the vacuum pump for the dentists tools was switched on ,he came right out of it. They had to give him enough to knock out an elephant,AND STUFF COTTON WOOL IN HIS EARS!!!!And he still glared at me throughout the whole procedure! Should we have a trial separation?

Try RELATE.(Realise Equines Love ATtention Everyday)

DW Team

Visit site
Try RELATE.(Realise Equines Love ATtention Everyday)

Love that.

My ID 18hh is a pansy when it comes to clipping, dentist and worst the vet. Runs to the back of his box when the lovely vet comes anywhere near the yard! Recon he can smell him at 100 paces. Think when in Ireland he must have had something happen. Last week had him sedated too for the dentist and he has only just started to come to me again a week later. Mega hacked off at the vet and dentist.

Spotsrock

Visit site
My Id x calmly steps on ur feet if u raise ur voice and refuses to move till u apologise. She used to ignore me when I got back from holiday even just a long weekend but she's 34 and has a few health problems so these days she just looks pleased I'm back.

Montyforever

Visit site
See this is why you need a welsh, she thinks that dentists/vets have come to attack us and she has to do ninja style moves to scare them off. When this doesn't work she just looks at me and you can see her thinking "right, lets start behaving and then start a new attack when they least expect it!" when the vets finally finished she struts out of there like she's won the battle and shows off for ages or feels ill and needs a cuddle (this mare does not do cuddles unless on deaths door!)
Never get the silent treatment as she doesn't seem to realise i am in on the conspiracy ;)

Pie's mum

Visit site
My ID x hates me doing anything with another horse. He saw me riding my friend's horse once which resulted in him leaning over his door and huffing and looking jealous. He was very funny with me for an hour or so after that.

Mithras

Visit site
On the contrary, my two part bred IDs are so jealous of each other, if one gets something, the other immediately wants it more than anything else in the world. So the one that doesn't mind the dentist got his teeth done first in the box next to the other one, who then when it was his turn, stood like an angel for the first time ever. This one doesn't mind being clipped but the other one is very ticklish, so I clipped the good one right outside his box. The whole time he had his head over trying to join in. Then swapped them over and the clipper hater stood good as gold, ignoring his hatred of clippers especially on his legs because the other one had got something he hadn't earlier!

nicelittle

Visit site
Clipped our connie this year, had to twitch her, she didn't enjoy it, we took only a bib off. Next day, my daughter brought her in from field and tied her in the yard. I walked over and stroked her neck, like usual. She shot upwards as if I had given her an electric shock, snorting, rearing and being a pillock, it took her a few days to forgive me!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am now being made to suffer ! My ID is definately giving me the cold sholder. All I did was take him to the dentist to have his teeth sorted out. But no ,he cannot see the logic behind it and now will not talk to me. In fact he pointedly makes a fuss of anyone else in front of me just to prove that I am being shunned. Even bunches of carrots do not do the trick,they are taken and eaten ,but the underlying message is that"I am only eating this because if I dont you will give it to some other horse"Should we seek counselling?

I must have been lucky my ID mare was 1 in a million and if he had 2 cross words with that was it in 23 years and it was in the end that she showed me areas of her body she did not want me to touch.

Wish I could have another one :(

EffyCorsten

Visit site
My ID is only rising two and he ready has sulking down to a fine art! If my behaviour has been unacceptable in his eyes he will stand infront of me in rhe field and glare at me with his head down and walk away when I try to make up with him.

blood_magik

Visit site
mine also goes in a huff if he thinks he's being ignored.
I get the evil eye if he sees me tacking up one of the others and not him, and god forbid you tell him off for being a prat - it's like the end of the world.

For the size of him, he's such a drama queen but I wouldn't have him any other way.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Thank god I'm not alone in having a jealous horse, my trotter x is jealous of my OH, when hacking out together and we hold hands, my lads ears go flat back and he pulls not impressed faces, doesn't do it when I hack out with my daughter and try holding hands, he also threatens to bite my other horses if they come too close when I'm there and I'm not soft with him, but every time I see him, I think God you're gorgeous and that's after having him for five years, to me he's better than a lottery win

windand rain

Visit site
Must be something to do with being Irish our Connemara wont talk to you, wont be caught, and even knows the days of the week because come Sunday (competition day) she disappears to the other end of the field and turns her head away from you so if she cant see you you cant see her Every other day she tries to climb in our pocket provided you haven't insulted her princessship

Luci07

Visit site
My ID x is quite forgiving as has a lovely sunny character. His SOH is not always the same as mine but fundamentally, he would never try to hurt you.

My Stafford boy on the other hand, had to stay in the vets for an x ray some 3 years ago. My dogs get a 6 monthly check up as a matter of course and we STILL have hysterics from Blaze who is worried he might get left and he gets stressed and frantic.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Another thing he does is if hubby comes down to bring him in with me, he HAS to walk between us. None of that hand holding stuff while he's around! He also does this at shows when I'm leading him back to the lorry.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I think I probably have more pure-bred Irish Draughts than anyone here - which makes me a decent judge of 'character' - and I can assure you they are all a bit 'different' in some ways. I even have one at present who is an ill-mannered bitch (I didn't breed her - her previous owner taught her that ill manners paid off - she's slowly learning they don't!)

ALL of them like attention - and food.

Copperpot

Visit site
I wondered why my horse was such a drama queen and loved attention. Must be the smidge of ID in him.

He had cut his leg a while ago in the field, nothing major, just a bit of blood. I arrive at field and he comes hobbling over like his leg is broken and stands in front of me holding the affected limb up, just to make sure I can see he's hurt.

Off I go to get the first aid kit. Flush wound out with saline, make sure it's clean and put some ointment on it. Soon as I've fussed over him the leg is magically healed and he goes trotting off down the field to his mate. He's like a premiership footballer!

Goldenstar

Visit site
ALL of them like attention - and food.

They sure do .
They do have different characters .
However the nicest ones are laid back independent thinkers and can be trained to fantastic self confident hunters .
They the best gents hunters by miles in my book.
I have two RID's and a husband all three are ' characters ' no wonder my life is such a muddle .

tonitot

Visit site
When I worm my TB mare she won't talk to me for a few days! She will take treats from other people but won't take anything off me, I try to touch her and she just walks away. She's like me tbh, if someone upsets/annoys me then I don't talk to them for a while and then forget about it!

Nari

Visit site
I think I probably have more pure-bred Irish Draughts than anyone here - which makes me a decent judge of 'character' - and I can assure you they are all a bit 'different' in some ways.

I think a bit 'different' is an understatement! The way mine acts at times I wonder if there's something other than horse in him & I certainly wouldn't want the human equivalent as a husband, I'd never be allowed out of his sight. Possessive doesn't begin to describe him & he had to be taught that I don't need guarding.

Mike whatever makes you think you own an ID? Don't you realise they own humans?

Mike007

Visit site
I think it may be ok and we could be reconciled. After 3 days of sulks ,he went to do a hunter trial ridden by his fovourite aunt and has come back thinking he is awesome ,(and his first legitimate rosette)If I were to point out that had he listened to his aunt at the related distance skinnies , he wouldnt have had the embarassment of flying past the second one . He would consider me picky and try to find some way that it was my fault, bad training for example!None the less he impressed the hell out of everyone and made the collecting ring sterard eat her words ,"Oh he wont do the owl hole fence" He looked at it ,guaged the rather small opening and intrue Irish draught fashion said , It may not be big enough now but it sure the **** will be after I go through!