Oxers you can jump both ways?

ecrozier

Visit site
Am on a mission to get my eye in more for jumping 1m spreads before we go to another bs show... But limited on space in our school! The best way to get a decent length approach is to build on the diagonal, but just wondering about building it so I can jump on both reins... Is it harder for him to jump if front and back rails are the same height? Would put a groundline both sides obviously and build up from smaller to full height! can't remember if we ever jump level ones in competition or always ascending!!*
If a bad idea will try and rope in someone to be 'ground crew'!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Most oxers in competition are 'square' oxers as you describe, and I always build mine at home to be jumpable both ways as I have limited space as well - plus I am lazy and want to jump off both reins without messing about too much!

ecrozier

Visit site
Perfect that's what I was hoping, thanks! I thought the ones in comp were like that but had a doubt that I was imagining that!!

Doncella

Visit site
Most oxers in competition are 'square' oxers as you describe, and I always build mine at home to be jumpable both ways as I have limited space as well - plus I am lazy and want to jump off both reins without messing about too much!

Me too, I usually put up a high cross pole, an upright, a square oxer and a stile on the diagonal.

Gamebird

Visit site

Ditto, especially the lazy bit ;)

You can also build oxers with the front pole sloping left to right (as you look at it - so, say at 1.10 on the left wing and 90cm on the right wing) and the back pole sloping the opposite way at the same height. This jumps both ways as well and gives the horse the impression of a bigger fence without scaring it. Sharpens them up in front a little too.

russian_charm

Visit site
Ditto, especially the lazy bit ;)

You can also build oxers with the front pole sloping left to right (as you look at it - so, say at 1.10 on the left wing and 90cm on the right wing) and the back pole sloping the opposite way at the same height. This jumps both ways as well and gives the horse the impression of a bigger fence without scaring it. Sharpens them up in front a little too.

Swedish oxer;)
Athletically, square oxers are harder to jump than sloping oxers ( I personally HATE jumping them, so all the more important to school them!)

Wheels

Visit site
Yes, as others have said a square oxer can be jumped both ways, just make sure you have a groundline on both sides

If you build on the diaganol i.e. at X between H&F or K&M you will always be jumping on the same rein just coming from different ends of the school. (between H&F will always be on left rein, between K&M will always be right rein)

Try building your oxer or a grid on the 3/4 line then you can get round the outside of the jump & jump it on both reins without having to do a half 10m circle!!

KatB

Visit site
Wheels, I quite often build fences on the diagonal can can jump them off both reins. It is good practise for the horse to come to a fence off a tight turn, and makes you ride forward off the corner :D However, it may not be best for a big wobbly 5yr old!

ecrozier

Visit site
Thanks guys, can just about fit a jump on either diagonal line at the same time so one on km line another on hf line, sorry should have made myself clearer there!
I also jump on both reins on diagonal.... On my 15 year old 14.2!! Not sure how easy roo would find it altho have done similar exercise in a clinic!
Good idea re the Swedish oxer to mix it up a bit!

star

Visit site
same problem here! barely enough room for one jump - i tend to build on 3/4 line as horse really not balanced enough in his canter to be jumping big oxers on the diagonal off a sharp turn so would only end up jumping on one rein. i tend to build wide square oxers at home with a placing pole both sides to encourage him to round over them so only about 2ft9 high but 3ft3-3ft6 wide. encoutered my first Swedish oxer at a comp last week and horsey decided to clear the height of the sides of the poles which were at least 10cm higher - made a great picture but felt like we went into orbit!

ecrozier

Visit site
That's a good idea star - I think it's the width that worries me (nb not horse!) possibly more than the height so some smaller wider ones a good idea. Funnily enough though we find if easier to approach off a corner than along 3/4 line, I think I use the corner to balance him a bit!!

ecrozier

Visit site
And yes I can imagine that is exactly what roo would do over a Swedish oxer! We usually get minimum 20cm clearance anyway though!

star

Visit site
yes, it's the width that worries me too. i walked the BE100 SJ at Munstead on Sunday and nearly had a heart attack height doesn't seem to bother me but width is a big issue in my head!

Have to say in my school approaching a jump on the 3/4 line does seem to involve approaching off a corner - I think I'm almost permanently on a corner in there!

ecrozier

Visit site
Lol yes the width at 90 used to scare me enough! I don't think it helps that my Arab who all my competition experience was on til I got roo really struggles with width and will drop the back bar in wider overs. He can get high, has gone up to 1.15 verticals but width really struggles - even xc he will sometimes put down on top and push off again over wider 90 fences (hence he now only does 80!) but he does have short legs and is only 14.2!

MegaBeast

Visit site
A lot of lower levels will build ascending oxers (especially BE90) so you will probably meet a variety out competing but "proper" square ones are good to school over so you can be confident whatever you meet.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Space is not an issue in my school, but we have a shortage of fences for schooling over (the 'posh' jumps aren't for playing with! :D) so I always build square oxers I can approach from both directions over.
My issue was always with width too, Hen couldn't make the stretch once fences went up, so I build oxers and then get my helper to inch them out.