Pacer doing Walk and "Trot" test opinions

helly86

Visit site
Hi, My Standardbred is really getting the hang of flatwork and i'm thinking of entering him in a couple of local riding club walk and trot tests, the only thing is he paces rather than trots. Has anyone had any experience of either competing on a pacing horse or has any one seen one competing? What would you feel if you were in a class along with a pacer?Cheers, Helly

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
I don't do any showing so know nothing of the regulations, but my personal opinion is pacing is NOT trotting. It is a different gait and the horse moves differently. It would be difficult to compare 'trots' between horses if one of them is actually pacing. I hope I am wrong and that you can show and enjoy.

diggerbez

Visit site
i personally wouldn't have a problem with being in a class with a pacer but i think the judge would score you lower as pacing is a totally different gait to trotting so really you wouldn't be fulfilling what the test is asking you to do... sorry!
frown.gif

helly86

Visit site
Hi both, Thank you for your opinions, Obviously I am aware of the difference between pacing and trotting and understand that if i were able to enter i would be marked lower for failing to trot. It's good to know that diggerbez wouldnt object to me being in the same class: it's not like i'm much competition!:) it's more that I want to get him going out and about as he trots really nicely on the lunge and when he's in his field so I'm hoping he will trot one day. Thank you both V Much, any other opionions still welcome!!! :)

diggerbez

Visit site
a girl on my old yard had a trotter which she is in the process of reschooling- she's done quite a good job and now can get it to trot quite a bit and its even cottoned on to the idea of canter- but does find this hard. i think she did lots of work with long reins and lungeing and has had a lot of lessons on it. i'd put you in contact with her but she's a cow and a bully so fraid i can't
grin.gif
grin.gif
i do know tho that she used to go on this forum which might be of help to you...

http://frenchtrotters.freeforums.org/index.php

helly86

Visit site
Thanks that's encouraging. He can canter really well on straights and he's just mastering going around corners without getting disunited (WOOHOO) but because he paced for 8/9 years it's well and truely ingrained on his brain! Do you know if Bully girl used a Pessoa at all? i'm thinking about splashing out...!

diggerbez

Visit site
he he, yes she does have a pessoa. she's the same- can canter ok on straights but has problems on a circle. i think when she's done tests with canter in she's gone for long arena ones as less circling involved!
grin.gif

CoachinaCar

Visit site
I dont think any competitors would have a problem with you competing but the judges will give you a hard time as they have to mark what they see and if they dont see a proper trot you will probably struggle to get more than a 4 in all the trot work which will give you a very low percentage. Good luck with him tho if you do have a go.

estellebradley

Visit site
Hi, I have a TB x who paces and also 'shuffles' in the walk. I have got him to trot by 'punching' the rhythm in the air with my hands when trotting, sounds bizarre but it worked!! He still resorts to pacing though when he gets worried or stressed though. I compete him in walk trot dressage tests and normally get 58-59%. Other competitors are sometimes mean and voice their opinion, like I shouldn't be riding because he is lame?! But I just ignore them! In canter he used to change legs behind all the time but no only occassionally does it on the left rein. I can recommend the Pessoa, or other training aids that show them what you want.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Reschooling Standardbreds is pretty common in North America because harness racing is such a big thing and some have gone on to do very well in lower level dressage. They are also quite popular as general riding horses on account of being so laid back (which might partly result from the kind of experiences they have racing - very different from TB racing!) and some can jump very well, although some of the ones that do still struggle to canter well. I've even known a few do well at lower level eventing.

I can't see any competitor having a problem with you being there - it's not like your performance reflects on them anyway. However, technically, a judge could - perhaps even should - give you a 0 for your trot work if you don't actually show the gait required. A horse that "goes lateral" would be harshly marked, one that never actually shows a trot could be argued to not fulfil the criteria for the test at all. So long as you're okay taking the chance, as you seem to be, then no one is going to stop you, you just have to be resigned to the possible result.

helly86

Visit site
I'm expecting to get a hard time, but thanks for the warning!!! :) Nice to hear from someone who's in the same boat! I recently entered him in novice SJ and once i'd finished (clear might i add) over the loudpeaker came " could you tell us, is your horse very young?" I replied "no he's 12" and back came "what's he doing with his legs then???" Nearly fell off laughing as i had to explain ... good times.:)