Paddock care after over seeding

Magicmadge

Visit site
I topped, weedkiilered, harrowed and over seeded part of my paddock in mid may. It's growing nicely despite the best efforts of a male pheasant his two ladies, a pair of partridge and my resident rabbit population !!! However, the weeds are still a major problem and are growing more vigorously than the new grass as I only have a knapsack lance sprayer . How soon could I weed killer again , should I top again if so when , anyone done similar to me and any advice on reseeded paddock aftercare welcome ,

outinthefens88

Visit site
Weedkiller - depending on what it is - for example Headland Polo says for application to grass leys over 1 year old, Headland Relay P says that grasses should be established for at least 18 months before you can use the higher application rates.

Talk to your chemical supplier for exact timing but i have come across very few (if any) chemicals that can be used on newly sown grass.

What did you use last time?

Be very careful of topping new grass as it may get ripped out by the roots instead of topped.

Rolling can help the new grass to establish and may be beneficial.

Magicmadge

Visit site
Thanks , I used deppitox it's done an ok job on some but plantain and buttercup seem to be rampant again, and seeding . I don't want to ruin my new grass but at the same time don't want the new grass swamped and overshadowed by stronger weeds. I had overgrazed the 3 1/2 acre paddock ( will look after it better in future) so I am re doing it at 3/4 acre sized areas at a time .

autumn7

Visit site
I used Round Up and harrowed prior to reseeding a small area of reclaimed sandy soiled land from scratch on April 12th. I mowed with a sit and ride on long cut exactly eight weeks later. I chose a day when it hadn't rained for five days and in days prior, tested grass regularly until I could tug reasonably hard on grass without pulling roots up. Mowing flattened grass slightly but cut well and flattened grass returned well after next rainfall so all a success. I've since grazed two horses on it, one shod, other not, for 2 x 2 hour stints just to keep it down a little. May top it again anytime now to help it sward but it's thickening nicely and doing well. I've had a session removing odd ragwort plants by hand but think the secret is to encourage thickening by topping asap to override the weeds since as mentioned above, spraying's out for some months. We fortunately don't get buttercups here but plantain and ragwort take over if our paddocks aren't treated religiously in spring and autumn. We use Thrust for this with great success and will on new patch from next spring.

Just to add, have you seen this for your buttercups for the future? It gets 5/5 stars for success as apposed to 4/5 for Depitox http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-Killers/Tree-Stump-Woody-Weeds/Kaskara-1LT-weedkiller/prod_436.html

Last edited:

Magicmadge

Visit site
Thanks may try a high cut once a month till October, and weedkill next spring . If it looks strong a light graze too in a few more months. I've had to water a bit in the last dry spell and will probably have to again if this heatwave arrives.