pads for hoof boots

ann-jen

Visit site
How often do they need changing?
I only really use boots for roadwork, but after Dee bruised her sole I changed the pads to thicker softer ones for anything out of the arena.
Last week I changed them back to the medium ones, and when I removed the soft ones they are squashed to the point of not really doing a great deal anymore!
She had her first hack without boots this morning and if anything felt more comfortable 'au naturale' than with boots on so guess will be going back to infrequent use again. (most of our hacking is off road here). But did wonder if I should be replacing the pads on a regular routine basis and if so after roughly how many uses? I'm guessing the firmer pads will be more robust, but do wonder if I should have a little stock of pads in reserve!

amandap

Visit site
If by soft pads you mean the EPS ones, then yes they do squash down and mould to the hoof. I haven't used them in boots myself but tape another underneath, which you probably can't in boots. I find they last varying amounts of time and I always have a small stock of 4lb(for my mini)and 7lb for the big horses in my first aid kit. I noticed yesterday Equine Podiatry Supplies now have EPS pads for boots.

Sorry I can't help with other types of pads for exercize I've only used them for turnout in my yard occasionally.

ann-jen

Visit site
I mean these.... http://www.hoofbootique.co.uk/parts/pads/pads/easycare-comfort-pads.html
When she first went barefoot she had thin medium ones in, and then when she had the stone bruise we changed to thick and soft..... but 600kg of horse onto a soft pad they are well and truly squished!
Makes me wonder what if anything they are actually doing??? I assume it does help to engage the frog a bit more as they mold around the foot. But maybe need replacing more frequently than I was doing.
However at the moment she is telling me she is more comfortable without any boots at all so probably overthinking things as usual lol.

amandap

Visit site
I'm sorry I haven't used those at all but many will have I am sure. Gaining more info so you can be prepared is never over thinking things. Great she is doing better bf good luck with further progress. :)