Pain issue?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Long story short my tb went lame behind beginning of this year had hock x rays and they where injected then had his spin injected and with Time off vet came back and declaired him sound and able to return into work..
When he was first lame at the start of the year he was unable to pick his back feet up so shoeing was not possible once he had his spine injected and time off he was able to be shoed again so put the lameness down to tweaking something in his lower back.. Now the farrier is able to shoe behind but not in front as he just goes crazy, prats and jumps around won't even let the farrier take his fronts off.. Last time he managed to shoe but had to do if cold, so now I'm worried that this response is pain related,
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Many thanks x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry you've not had any replies. I haven't had this issue but suggest that you try to find a vet/physio who does acupuncture. We had a mare with back problems that this helped and another with a poll and shoulder problem that was helped with acupuncture.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Long story short my tb went lame behind beginning of this year had hock x rays and they where injected then had his spin injected and with Time off vet came back and declaired him sound and able to return into work..
When he was first lame at the start of the year he was unable to pick his back feet up so shoeing was not possible once he had his spine injected and time off he was able to be shoed again so put the lameness down to tweaking something in his lower back.. Now the farrier is able to shoe behind but not in front as he just goes crazy, prats and jumps around won't even let the farrier take his fronts off.. Last time he managed to shoe but had to do if cold, so now I'm worried that this response is pain related,
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Many thanks x

Yes, my gelding was exactly like this. At first it was just his hinds but he gradually got better with them especially after he was operated on for kissing spines. But then he went really bad with his fronts and would snatch them away violently and often send the farrier flying. I had to retire him due to kissing spines as despite the operation he was never able to be ridden safely again. So for the last 3 years I had him he was only trimmed and not shod. The farrier was able to work out a way to trim his fronts without the bad reactions. He was never able to lift them away to the sides or put them between his legs for trimming. Then he was fine. But in answer to your question, I am in no doubt that your horse has a pain issue which is causing the reaction.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I dont have the same issue as such but my horse is a bit naughty for the farrier with his hinds and yes its because he has arthritis in his hocks.
Last time he was shod i gave him bute for a few days before and two on the morning the farrier came and he stood perfectly.
If you tried this and it worked at least you would be able to say yes its pain or not?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Many thanks guys, he has had hock x rays and no arthritis (thankfully) but iv booked him to go for a work up at the clinic next week as I'd rather get to the bottom of the problem asap
Xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I was just wondering why they injected his hocks if nothing was seen on the xrays. Also why was his spine injected? Are his spinal processes close together or touching or was it his muscle or ligament where the problem was? Or were you referring to nerve blocks?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Sorry long reply amy his hock joints where a tad close for the vets liking so she injected just incase it may of caused any discomfort, the spine was injected as the vet thought it was something been tweak when running around in awful field conditions this winter and as he came sound with time after that when he trotted up for another vet at yard approx 2 months later was sound and she said bring back into work slowly so I did as was told the vet who injected him said if not sound he wants him back to test for KS and bone disease:( ( I mean he's only 6 and I'm in no rush so he can have as much time as this takes) but Saturday he schooled very flat so I thought it be best to stop and not push it assumed it was an off day (we all have them) but with farrier issue we trotted him up fridY and not lame as such but def short and not moving as he should in front
So I thought booking him in asap just to try and get to the bottom of it x