Painting my lorry.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I've got a very tatty DAF 7.5 ton lorry. The log book says it's green :), in fact it's red :(. I'd really like a green lorry :).

I'm thinking of upgrading in about 12 months time, but thought we'd have a quick tidy in the mean time.

So I'm thinking of a home paint job, the current paint is not only the wrong colour it is also flaking off and looks awful. So, we have a barn I could paint in, my husband has a paint sprayer thing I (he ;)) can use.

So...........what paint do I use? I've painted an Ifor Williams trailer with Homebase external gloss, I'd like a better finish this time though.

Any tips please.

foxy1

Visit site
I've had a really good result using oil based egg shell/satin finish paint, put on with a gloss roller. The key is good preperation on your surface. It's ok using a spray gun if you are good at using them but so easy to get runs and overspray. I found the gloss roller the best.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Mines a wooden lorry so cant help with the paint

the chassis was also bright green yuk i had it painted blue and yellow my colours.

Is it aluminum or metal .

I use hammerite on the small areas.

Not much help here all i can suggest is rub down all flaky area prior to painting . It makes allot of difference when you sell it So def a good idea to give a lick of paint :D

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I've had a really good result using oil based egg shell/satin finish paint, put on with a gloss roller. The key is good preperation on your surface. It's ok using a spray gun if you are good at using them but so easy to get runs and overspray. I found the gloss roller the best.

Thanks foxy1 :), I'd like to use a roller, but my husband insists the sprayer would be neater, I've never managed to use spray paint without getting huge
drips.

I'll show him this, then hopefully he'll let me get on with it.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
Mines a wooden lorry so cant help with the paint

the chassis was also bright green yuk i had it painted blue and yellow my colours.

Is it aluminum or metal .

I use hammerite on the small areas.

Not much help here all i can suggest is rub down all flaky area prior to painting . It makes allot of difference when you sell it So def a good idea to give a lick of paint :D

Thanks Leviathan, handy hints for doing the cab :)

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
I redid my old horsebox cab quite a few years ago, i just used gloss from Wickes and a gloss roller, didnt really sand it down or anything just slapped it on. It last 6 years approx so suited me.

I am about to redo my newer box though and am unsure what to really use as i think this one is going to need some filler in etc as it has a few deep scrapes etc down one side (thanks to the garage that did the work for its MOT 2 years ago......) plus OHs friend has a sprayer and said he would show OH how to use it..... a former livery however had one sprayed by her OH at the time and in the bright daylight, it looked so patchy... my cab/bonnet etc never looked patchy when i used a gloss roller :-/ i imagine using a normal gloss though i will use a lot more than if it was sprayed on!

miller

Visit site
OH sprayed ours with Dacrylate (sp) tractor paint - excellent result and not as expensive as car paint. Lorry is stick sided steel with glasonite panels. Prep is the key to good finish and took at least twice as long as spraying