Palamino/coloured?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Have been to the Hallamshirfe show today with some friends who have coloured horses. In the Coloured Horse In hand class there was a gorgeous appaloosa, a grey and white, a traditional piebald cob, and my two friends piebald horse and pony.
Towards the end a Palamino turned up late, and i was very surprised especially when it was pulled in for 2nd place.
Would you consider a palamino a coloured?
confused.gif

lizlew

Visit site
I have a coloured mare and there is often palaminos in the class, they are classed as a coloured horse although some show split up the coloured into skewbalds and piebalds and then another class for palaminos, duns etc

scrat

Visit site
I don't think they should be considered "coloured" but at local shows they will include palaminos, spotted, duns and roans. I think this often done to ensure enough entries in the class rather than two or three of each in thier own class.

Onyxia

Visit site
I dont think they should be considered coloured either-simply because they are a solid colour on the body.
IMO a colourd horse has at least two distint colours on its body.

Vey

Visit site
Technically speaking, according to the old definition, a palamino is chestnut with a blond or flaxen mane and tail.

scrat

Visit site
In that case then the class could include bays, greys, chestnuts the list goes on.... Most coloured classes are not judged by colour or markings but conformation and way of going, colour is the last consideration. I think most accept that coloured refers to piebald and skewbald.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I am absolutely intrigued by this thread and very interested in everyone's opinions. Of course, I have a vested interest though, being a palomino breeder!
grin.gif

Someone in this thread said that a palomino is a colour not a breed and they are absolutely correct.
grin.gif

calon

Visit site
i must say i dont agree with coloured classes alowing pals and duns but many shows do i think to get class numbers up