Parliament to debate fireworks issue following petition

DD265

Visit site
Just had an email through - the petition to restrict the use/sale of fireworks is going to be discussed in Parliament on the 6th June!

104038 signatures did it :)

Does anybody know what action people (who want further restrictions) should take now? Should we be writing to local MPs?

Lacuna

Visit site
Just got that email too! I think writing to MPs would probably be a good way to back it up. There are increasing numbers of people who want to have sale of fireworks restricted for safety to people and animals.

Would love to see it paired with a ban on those sodding Chinese fire lanterns too.

Molasses

Visit site
Definitely write to your MP
I did and got a vague reply that they understood the problem but couldn't do anything.
Felt like writing back - if you are so powerless what exactly are you getting paid for?

fatpiggy

Visit site
Definitely write to your MP
I did and got a vague reply that they understood the problem but couldn't do anything.
Felt like writing back - if you are so powerless what exactly are you getting paid for?

Ireland managed to ban the sale of fireworks to the public.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Fantastic news :)
I would like them sold for organised events only. We put up with fireworks for weeks in nov and the animals in our area get very upset.
I hate the bloody things

Equi

Visit site
We don't get the fireworks quite as bad in n.ire it's only really on Halloween and nye but there's a hotel near that does fireworks for weddings so we have them once a week in summer (big posh place only does Saturday's lol) I don't mind them but I don't have any animals that give a hoot about them. My cousins cat was really bad though - had to be sedated or he would hyperventilate so much he'd near die.

Pebble101

Visit site
Fantastic news :)
I would like them sold for organised events only. We put up with fireworks for weeks in nov and the animals in our area get very upset.
I hate the bloody things

This. And restricted dates when they can be used. Agree also on a ban for Chinese Lanterns.

popsdosh

Visit site
All I will say is dont get to excited it wont be debated in parliament! These petittion ones usually end up in westminster hall where after a few words they get swept under the carpet and are merely shown lip service with only a few MPs present.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Always some excuse for some nob heds to let off fireworks, should be organized displays only.

Totally agree and should be limited to 1 hour only. My cat is so bad that even if she hears a rumble of thunder she walks around growling then rushes upstairs and hides under the bed so you can imagine what it is like when it is firework season. Ironically when I got her from the sanctuary her name was the same as my horse who yep, was terrified of fireworks and none too happy about thunderstorms either.