Parrot mouth in a foal

paddi22

Visit site
I have a pure tb foal that was born to a dumped ex racer I got landed with in my field. Foal was born in may, is a totally adorable, healthy little thing but he has a bad parrot mouth. Top teeth stick out a lot above bottom teeth. Has anyone had foals like this and is there anything that can be done to help? Also if left as is will it affect him much in future? I have no experience of parrot mouths in horses at all!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Here is a link to site on the subject: https://wagwalking.com/horse/condition/parrot-mouth

My friends horse was parrot mouthed and needed to see the EDT every 9 months. He wasn't very bad, but it was quite noticeable. She bought him as a teen and he never put on any weight but I don't know if that was as a result of his teeth and not being able to digest food correctly or just his breeding/temperament.

He was a grade B Show jumper so his teeth hadn't interfered with his capacity to have a successful ridden career.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Depending on what a vet says it is not the end of the world, we had a TB foal kicked in the face at month old, shattered her lower jaw, she ended up with a very overshot jaw. Amazingly seemed to eat grass, but preferred cubes to mix. Went on to be a successful racehorse.

paddi22

Visit site
ah cool to hear they can be ridden and have normal jobs! was chatting to dentist and he is gonna put him on a 6 month checkup routine.

A few people did mention to me that he might need extra feed because he wont be able to eat grass/forage the same way normal horses do.
Does it affect bit placment in the mouth when ridden? Im so clueless about it!

Snowfilly

Visit site
It shouldn't affect bit placement at all but if it does, bitless wouldn't be the end of he world.

My uncle had a parrot mouthed gypsy cob who he named Polly Parrot...she was a skinny little wretch as a foal but she was born to a dumped mare who was skin and bones so didn't have a good start. She couldn't eat very short grass so needed more forage than the others, and was on a 6 monthly dentist visit. She went on to have a short but happy life as a driving pony but died from a field accident at 10 so no idea how she would have coped as she got older. She wore a normal driving bridle with Liverpool curb and had no special adjustment.

I'm sure your little one will be fine!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I bought a gypsy cob that was parrot mouthed at 3.5 yrs... He didn't have any trouble grazing, even short grass, but I guess it's a question of degree, though it was quite noticeable. As he grew his lower jaw 'caught up' and he ended up with an even bite.