Part exchanging? Wwyd?

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
So basically I bought a completely unsuitable horse a few months ago and I have since lost most of my confidence for one reason or another. I have the opportunity to part exchange him for a much more suitable, 15.3 schoolmaster sort. However the prospective horse is 18 and and extra £1100 on top of the exchange of my horse. I am seriously considering it, partly due to the fact my present horse is going to be hard to sell and at the moment I don't even ever want to ride him again.
Has anyone got any experience of buying an 18 yo? Another issue is I may have to sell or loan him next year when I go to uni, I'm worried this could be challenging. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Merlod

Visit site
Could you sell them your horse at a lowered price on the understanding you get to have the 18yo on loan for a year and then at least he can go back?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I'm not sure I'd be buying another horse, particularly at that age, if I thought I'd have to sell it again next year. I like Merlod's idea of loaning the 18yo for a year but not sure the how agreeable the dealer will be given it's age. If not could you look to loan or help exercise someone else's horse so you're still getting your horsey fix without having to buy a new horse?

Equi

Visit site
I'd not buy an 18yo knowing you can't have him next year. Even loaning one out that age could be a challenge. If I was you I would sell your horse and try maybe to find a loan (that can actually go back...I'm stuck with one who has nowhere to go back!) or part loan maybe? I'm part loaning a 17yo and he is going back next year I assume to be sold and I'm already interested but only because I know him now. On paper I wouldn't consider him at all.

_OC_

Visit site
Don't take the 18 year old.....get them to take back the unsuitable horse and call it a day.
Personally from what I'm gaging here is that your life is not ready for a horse, and it would IMO be very unfair on the older horse to be past on again be it loaned or sold.....see if the dealer will take the current horse to re-sale, if there is a loss in doing this ,so be it.....it will be kinder to both horses concerned.
Sorry to be so blunt....but, this is how I see it!

Asha

Visit site
Take a step back and think about this.

In your shoes, I would sell your current horse. Get an experienced rider / trainer to assess him or her and ask them for a true value. Rather than buy another horse, that you may have to sell next year, why not become a sharer ?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Don't take the 18 year old.....get them to take back the unsuitable horse and call it a day.
Personally from what I'm gaging here is that your life is not ready for a horse, and it would IMO be very unfair on the older horse to be past on again be it loaned or sold.....see if the dealer will take the current horse to re-sale, if there is a loss in doing this ,so be it.....it will be kinder to both horses concerned.
Sorry to be so blunt....but, this is how I see it!

I agree with the above sorry, if you send the current horse back you could look for a share to get your confidence back and you would have a year before starting uni.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Get rid of the current horse and share another horse or find one to exercise for the next year. Pointless buying one and having to sell it within a year.

Merlod

Visit site
Oh, if it's a dealer and not a friend/ private seller I doubt they would consider a loan of the 18yo, and in hindsight it decreases his chance for a life home. Best to sell your horse and get a loan/share.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies - unfortunately I can't send my current horse back although I did ask about it. I am also going to find it hard to sell him but at the same time really don't want to keep riding him - I thought about putting him on sales livery but his value would be eaten up in a few weeks. That's what originally drew me to look at a part ex. Would anyone consider loaning an older horse do you think? As I wouldn't mind having the prospective horse back whatever his age after I'd finished uni.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies - unfortunately I can't send my current horse back although I did ask about it. I am also going to find it hard to sell him but at the same time really don't want to keep riding him - I thought about putting him on sales livery but his value would be eaten up in a few weeks. That's what originally drew me to look at a part ex. Would anyone consider loaning an older horse do you think? As I wouldn't mind having the prospective horse back whatever his age after I'd finished uni.

I think the trouble is you may find it difficult to find someone willing to take an older horse on full loan and cover any eventual vet bills that come with owning a veteran so I think you'd need a contingency in terms of funds in case you found the horse coming back to you with ongoing vet treatment.

Pigeon

Visit site
Yeah I agree I don't think it's a good idea getting another one.

What's the matter with your horse? Is he a nutjob or just a bit too much for you? Could he go on schooling livery perhaps? If not, sales livery might be your only option if you no longer want to ride him, horses are inevitably a money pit.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Well he's not a complete nutjob but his reaction if he doesn't want to do something is to either take off or reverse back and threaten to rear - unfortunately I do not have the experience or bravery to deal with this! I have had my instructor ride him for me and she agrees he is extremely sensitive - he is also fairly large at 17hh so I find it difficult to keep him together. I just can't see it being easy at this time of year to find him a home, hence why I was thinking of a part ex. Schooling livery is a possibility so thanks for that suggestion.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
You say the dealer won't take him back. I bet they would. Not allow you to return him for a refund, but buy him off you I mean. You'd lose a huge amount because they obviously need to make a profit when they sell him on again. But if you're looking at getting no money back at all or even making a loss, if you put him on sales livery, then an outright sale to a dealer could be your best option.

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Unfortunately I didn't actually buy him from a dealer but a private home - I have contacted them and although they won't take him back they are asking around to see if anyone would buy him. There is a local dealer or the person with the part ex that might take him though, although yes I would be experiencing a huge loss in finances - but unfortunately whichever way I look at it there is no chance of getting my money back!

Natch

Visit site
Personally from what I'm gaging here is that your life is not ready for a horse, and it would IMO be very unfair on the older horse to be past on again be it loaned or sold.....

This. It's not fair on any horse for you to acquire them knowing you only have a year. Look for a share or loan to stay at present yard, or go for lessons at a riding school for a year.

Don't do it. It's not fair on a 19 year old horse to be moved from you to another and back again, and I think people would be less likely to take on an older horse for loan because they'd be liable for vet bills. You've got more chance of him coming back right when you don't have the time or the money. Please, it's a bad idea.

Unfortunately I didn't actually buy him from a dealer but a private home - I have contacted them and although they won't take him back they are asking around to see if anyone would buy him. There is a local dealer or the person with the part ex that might take him though, although yes I would be experiencing a huge loss in finances - but unfortunately whichever way I look at it there is no chance of getting my money back!

Sell this horse. Sell him for whatever you can get for him, advertised on project horse or something. Give your instructor as a referee and advertise him honestly, and let him go to somebody who isn't daunted by his behaviour and who will be experienced enough and kind enough to work with him. Whether that's to a reputable dealer or a private home. You've taken the hit on the money already - it's gone, you won't get it back, and you're going to carry on pouring more money down the drain on him every extra month you own him but aren't riding him. Don't throw good money after bad, get what you can for him, and get a ride on somebody else's horse that is going to help your confidence.