Part/Full Livery Stigma- Does it happen elsewhere?

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Hey all,
So a few weeks ago, I was speaking to someone at the yard and I said if I were to presue my more office based careed I would probably go on 5 day livery depending on travel ect. (This again, is very hyperthetical, I am in no stage of persuing a career)

She has two horses on part livery and is a marketing manager in London and she told me that I better be prepared since alot of people frown upon her for being on part livery. - These are mainly from the DIY people at her previous yard saying that she is lazy or needs to be at the yard earlier or just dont have horses at all. After curious struck me, I asked a few other part or full livery mates who said they have experienced the same thing either here or other places.

I was wondering does this happen to you? I know a few non horsey people like my mum find it lazy but with DIY people on the same yard, does it happen?

Personally, I find that the money you lose makes up for the lack of stress and knowing.

Just wanting to see if anyone has had this stigma too. Hope it all made sense ??

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Hey all,
So a few weeks ago, I was speaking to someone at the yard and I said if I were to presue my more office based careed I would probably go on 5 day livery depending on travel ect. (This again, is very hyperthetical, I am in no stage of persuing a career)

She has two horses on part livery and is a marketing manager in London and she told me that I better be prepared since alot of people frown upon her for being on part livery. - These are mainly from the DIY people at her previous yard saying. After curious struck me, I asked a few other part or full livery mates who said they have experienced the same thing either here or other places.

I was wondering does this happen to you? I know a few non horsey people like my mum find it lazy but with DIY people on the same yard, does it happen?

Personally, I find that the money you lose makes up for the lack of stress and knowing.

Just wanting to see if anyone has had this stigma too. Hope it all made sense ??
Gosh people are so condescending.

I've never felt inadequate because people have more money than me or the means to have a big horse box, or to have two or three horses, or to have the best saddle.

I might be envious but I'm never jealous, and there is distinct difference. As far as I'm concerned my horse is the BEST horse in the world because he's mine, I rarely pay attention to other peoples horses or what they have or haven't done competition wise anymore because it hurts so much not being able to ride myself, let alone compete. But I'm always glad for them when they do achieve and say as much.

I see people the same way, whether they are on part, DIY of full livery. What funny attitudes people have. Most people are on full livery because they are professionals and therefore can't devote the time to their horse that non full liveries can but there's no shame in that.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I'm the opposite, I feel sorry ( probably not the right words) for people on full or part. They get to spend less time with their horses. I have several friends on full livery and the thought never occurred to me of being jealous etc , exact opposite for me.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
I'm the opposite, I feel sorry ( probably not the right words) for people on full or part. They get to spend less time with their horses. I have several friends on full livery and the thought never occurred to me of being jealous etc , exact opposite for me.
Yeah, I get that I know if I were to go with part or full I would feel sad that I get less time with my pony but would want to see how well I would cope on DIY beforehand. ? Alot of people said that the people who give them the stigma say theyre lazy and just have to "get up earlier". Which you would think these people have done and found it didnt work for them !

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
Hey all,

She has two horses on part livery and is a marketing manager in London and she told me that I better be prepared since alot of people frown upon her for being on part livery. (Saying she is lazy, just ger up earlier or dont have horses at all ect.) - These are mainly from the DIY people at her previous yard saying. After curious struck me, I asked a few other part or full livery mates who said they have experienced the same thing either here or other places.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Yeah, I get that I know if I were to go with part or full I would feel sad that I get less time with my pony but would want to see how well I would cope on DIY beforehand. ? Alot of people said that the people who give them the stigma say theyre lazy and just have to "get up earlier". Which you would think these people have done and found it didnt work for them !
My friends for instance just couldn't manage Diy with their working hours so I totally get why they have chosen full. For me, owning a horse is about doing all the jobs. My full time job allows me to do diy otherwise iwouldn't have a horse.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Hey all,

She has two horses on part livery and is a marketing manager in London and she told me that I better be prepared since alot of people frown upon her for being on part livery. - These are mainly from the DIY people at her previous yard saying that she is lazy or needs to be at the yard earlier or just dont have horses at all. After curious struck me, I asked a few other part or full livery mates who said they have experienced the same thing either here or other places.

When you eventually get your horse, you will be so busy concentrating on him/her that you won't care what others do with theirs. And when you choose your livery yard, you will no doubt look for one where you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable on the yard, after a while, you will move. It seems tome that you are over thinking all this.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I think it can be a mix of a few things: I think some owners on part livery that like to think that others look down on them - perhaps make themselves feel superior in some way for being on part livery, I think there are people on DIY who would love to be on part livery but can't be so are disparaging about those that are in an attempt to make themselves feel better and I think there are people on part livery that worry that people think badly of them.

There are also plenty of people (myself included) that have done a mix of all livery types - grass livery, full livery, DIY and assisted DIY - that don't give two hoots what they or others are on as long as it works for them. There's pros and cons to all - its just what works for you at that time in your life.

If someone is confident in themselves then it won't matter. If they aren't, they can find all sorts of reasons to judge others or think they are being judged - the type of livery you are on, the horse you ride and what you do (or don't do) with said horse.

I really wouldn't let it be something you stress unduly about.

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
When you eventually get your horse, you will be so busy concentrating on him/her that you won't care what others do with theirs. And when you choose your livery yard, you will no doubt look for one where you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable on the yard, after a while, you will move. It seems tome that you are over thinking all this.
Yeah, I was curious if this happens else where. Of course if I didnt feel comfortable I wouldnt hesitate to move ?

Annagain

Visit site
I'm on DIY as it suits me (and my pocket) but know that people have horses on full livery for all sorts of reasons. One friend has a debilitating illness that means she can't guarantee her horse would be cared for if she were on DIY. Others have jobs that require a lot of travel or long hours or shifts that mean they can't guarantee their horses would be cared for if they were on DIY. Another has young children, a husband who works away a lot and a full time job that mean she can't guarantee her horse would be cared for if he were on DIY. In every single case the decision was made with the horse's welfare in mind not because any of them are lazy.

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
I have been on full livery when my job required long hours and frequent travel.
For me it was the best way to keep my horse at the time - he had a good basic routine with the same familiar people looking after him. I could spend my available time doing the stuff that built our relationship, riding grooming just chillin' etc. As long as you are prepared to pay properly for such services, delegating mucking out, feed ordering and such things does not seem lazy to me, just making best use of your time.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

I feel the opposite, I'm glad that of days I have livery and get to spend more time with my horse. I see people on DIY who spend all their time mucking out while their horse is on the horse walker or still in the field. Meanwhile I'm grooming or riding.

I have 5 day livery so know at the weekend I do have less time as there's more to do.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site

exactly

AntiPuck

Visit site
I'm on 7-day full and haven't experienced any negativity like that (albeit haven't been doing it very long).

I'm there for hours every day, partly because I'm slow, and partly because my horse is young so needs more input at this stage. It's just that I'm not spending those hours mucking out, feeding etc (unless I want to, do sometimes do it). I don't feel that I'm spending any less time with my horse than those on DIY, just less time on the aforementioned tasks.

Even if I were not there much, though, that's my prerogative and shouldn't be of much interest to anyone except me and the yard owner.

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
When I got my first horse he was on part and I do remember that there was a 'divide' between us and the DIY part of the yard which backed onto our stable block. I have to say though I didn't notice anything until someone mentioned it, so I wonder how much is actual judgement and how much is people worrying about nothing. I'd ridden out with a couple of the DIYers, but it was only after the divide was mentioned that I realised I was the only one doing that. One thing which stops me being part these days (aside from cost round here!) is that I enjoy the interaction with my horse, so would feel like I was missing out. Not sure the horse would care too much who brought his dinner to him, though!

Alibear

Visit site
I'll add I'm on full livery, I could do DIY but my marriage would suffer, lack of holidays and nights out etc. Also when I add it all up it would save me little money maybe £50 per month? , plus it means I can ride my horse more often and means I can be on a yard that has an indoor school only 6 miles from where I live.

ponynutz

Visit site

This for me also.
But people should do what they need to do and if that's the reality for you to be able to have a horse then I don't see why not. The option's there and makes the sport more inclusive of real adults with real full-time jobs.
I'm not jealous but I understand it.

Redders

Visit site
It happens but it shouldn’t. My horse is my hobby and enjoyment, not my cross to bear. If I have to spend extra to ensure I can still enjoy our time together and horse is looked after when I am out earning money to pay for said livery, that’s what I do. People who judge can bore off

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I'll add I'm on full livery, I could do DIY but my marriage would suffer, lack of holidays and nights out etc. Also when I add it all up it would save me little money maybe £50 per month? , plus it means I can ride my horse more often and means I can be on a yard that has an indoor school only 6 miles from where I live.

I think that's it, isn't it? Weighing up what works for you :)

When I first bought my horse, part livery would have been way too much of a financial stretch but as my career progressed & once I bought our house, part/full livery really helped especially when I settled down with and had to factor in my non-horsey OH.

When I worked in an office being on part livery was a huge time help. When I started WFH I found I had less time as I ended up travelling 40-45 minutes away from my home to the yard (he was closer to my office).

He's now 15 minutes from home on Assisted DIY - I can get all my jobs done in less time it would take me to travel to him on full livery and I have time to ride before work if I want to as I don't have the commute or the need to be office smart each day to factor in :D

I could do DIY but the assisted DIY means I usually only visit one end of the day so still have free time for OH and un-horsey life.

If I worked in an office and commuted still, part livery would be a huge help.

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
There's a yard near me which only does 5 or7 day part livery (by which I mean the staff do everything except ride and groom your horse) .It says everything to me that there is always a waiting list for a space. The horses there are, in the main, non competition types whose owners spend hours hacking over the Long Mynd etc in preference to mucking out or poo picking.

Petmurf

Visit site
I’m on full 7 day livery and see my boy every day, I don’t think I spend any less time with him than those on DIY but I can choose to have a day off and spend time at home with my OH and dogs if I want to. When I’m at the yard I’ve got the time to groom him or just hang out with him and it never entered my head that others would consider me lazy, my yard only offers 7 or 5 day livery anyway.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
There's a yard near me which only does 5 or7 day part livery (by which I mean the staff do everything except ride and groom your horse) .It says everything to me that there is always a waiting list for a space. The horses there are, in the main, non competition types whose owners spend hours hacking over the Long Mynd etc in preference to mucking out or poo picking.

Dudgeley?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
So you don't yet have a horse, nor do you have a career?
But already you are worrying about what some random future strangers might say if you ever do get a horse, and do have an office job, and therefore decide to put it on part livery rather than DIY?

If you are in the fortunate position (as most young people are) that you have few worries in life, enjoy it. Don't go looking for hypothetical trouble. Concentrate on your studies (I assume you are still at school?)

blitznbobs

Visit site
its my experience that people frown on anyone who has made a bit of cash or is happy with the way their life is ( not necessarily the same thing…) Rich people are evil and people who choose lifestyle over work are weird or ditsy or lazy. My best advice is “you do you” and don’t take criticism off anyone you wouldn’t take advice off. As long as your horse is fed watered and exercised then it prob doesn’t care who does it.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Full livery is the best thing I ever did and I spend FAR more time with Lottie and Amber now as a result. All my time is quality time. None of it is mucking out and stuffing haynets/scrubbing water buckets while they are in the field, poo picking in the dark when they are back in their stable etc etc.

I don't give a monkey's what anyone thinks about it. But actually I have never had any kind of negativity or judgements about it IRL.

Ratface

Visit site
My horses have always had the best care that I can provide. In various life stages that has ranged from DIY to full competition livery. I went without to get where I wanted to be, and enjoyed every bit of it.
Now I'm almost totally retired, Old Horse is on a private and luxurious full livery yard. My physical health is less robust than it was, and if I'm having an "off" day, I know he'll be having first class care. My horses have always skinted me, but I don't care, because they have always given me so much joy.