part loaning, how much shall i ask for?

Kadastorm

Visit site
i have advertised my pony for part loan, 3 days a week (thurs eve, saturday and sunday) with the opportunity for more days if wanted. he is on a great DIY yard with a large school, nice hacking. i was thinking £20 a week, is that reasonable? i mainly just want someone to exercise him but financial contribution would be nice as im rather poor at the moment!

kc100

Visit site
Depending on what part of the country you are in, I'd say generally between £80 and £120 per month.

As an example, I'm in the West Mids and have shared for a few years, here's what I've paid:
* Horse 1 - DIY livery, ride 3 days per week, large floodlit school, hacking etc £110 per month plus half shoes every 6 weeks
* Horse 2 - no chores just feed after riding, 4 days per week, transport to competitions and flexible days (same facilities as above) £120 per month
* Horse 3 - no chores (horse on full livery), unlimited riding, flexible days, large floodlit school, LOTS of off-road hacking, head girl to ride her for me when I couldnt get to the yard, horse bred from GP dressage stallion, £150 per month plus half shoes every 6 weeks

I think in hindsight I overpaid for horse 1, he was a difficult horse who was a bit arthritic, I had a lot of chores to do, I hardly hacked out on him (spooky) and the owner relied on me heavily when she couldnt get to the yard. £100 per month and no shoes would have been more reasonable for that situation.

I'd say probably £100 per month is about right for you - obviously increasing if they are riding more than 3 times per week and if they will be hacking out on the roads a lot then half shoes is reasonable. Check Preloved and equine adverts for horses to share in your local area to see what the going rate is, that might help.

Kadastorm

Visit site
thanks guys.
im in kent.
I think I will keep it at around £80-£100 as the pony isn't able to jump at the moment, only hacking and light schooling as he is coming back into work after getting PSD and navicular. he can also be difficult to hack alone at the moment (nappy) but is great in company and in traffic, there are plenty of people on the yard to hack out with too. I just want someone to exercise him and give him some love and muck out in the evening when im at work or uni. He is only young and he isn't being turned out at the moment due to the fields being so boggy so I feel rather guilty!