Pass Wide And Slow campaign nationwide rides today

Suechoccy

Visit site
Who else took part in local Pass Wide And Slow group rides today? The campaign is to raise awareness of the need for motorists to pass vulnerable users (equestrians, cyclists walkers) widely (2m) and slowly (not more than 15mph). There were plenty of these rides organised nationwide today - there's a Pass Wide and Slow group on Facebook. Swavesey & District Bridleways held a ride, 9 riders, and met very considerate motorists. We rode from Swavesey to Over, around the fen, and back. Both villages have lovely bridleway loops around nature reserve areas but there is no public bridleway to link the two networks so we ride on the road to access either. Here are some photos from our ride, taken by me or my hubby (Horse and Hound editorial team u are most welcome to use them!). Equisafety very generously sponsored the nationwide rides, sending out a free hi viz gilet and headband for each ride organiser to raffle among riders.

Attachments

• ride2.jpg
    ride2.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 19
  • ride3.jpg
    ride3.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 19

EllenJay

Visit site
I have concerns about this movement. Last year, the planned ride included a dual carriageway, where drivers normally expect to be able to drive @ 60. I don't think it promotes our message to deliberately slow drivers down in those circumstances. If the rides were organised on rural routes, then I would definitely take part

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
I understand the trepidation by some. I think it’s great and I think the idea to be seen and acknowledged and to give a refresh to drivers of how to pass a rider on the road is wonderful. The more people who slow the better, they are setting a good precedent for everyone. When I think about the roads we used to cross when we were kids and the dual carriageways we used to ride by to get to a good bridal way it gives me the shivers! cars never slowed down for anyone! One of the bridal ways even used to stop at the bottom on a slip road to the M6 and we just used to wait and cross when it was clear!! ? Things have changed now though thank goodness lol xx