Passport and insurance?

rallan15

Visit site
Does anyone know how old you have to be to legally own a horse?
I saw on another thread that a 15 year old has her name on the passport but didn't say anything about insurance.
Do you have to be over 16 to have your name on the passport and get your insurance?

Shay

Visit site
Legally you have to be over 16 to own an animal - but many younger riders have their parents put their names on the passport. It only matters if you are competing affiliated when the animal has to have an adult as owner named on the passport. A passport alone is not proof of ownership in any event..

Insurance is more difficult. If you are a member of pony club or a BHS Junior Gold member you have 3rd party liability regardless of your age. Your parents can also take out a young rider policy for you. But to take out a formal policy in your own right you would need to be at least 16.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
My daughter’s horse has her name on his passport - she’s just turned 16. She’s a PC member so has insurance through that. I’ve arranged his vet fees insurance so that’s in my name and I signed the livery contract with the yard where he’s kept (as I’m paying the bills 🙄)