Passport issues

Schollym

Visit site
I sent a passport to the society for a change of ownership and a name change. Paid the fees, a passport was returned minus the vaccination record. The secretary had printed out a new passport.
I contacted the society secretary immediately and she said she would post it immediately. Nearly a week later I am still waiting and her response was that she posted it and perhaps I could ask the vet just to update the records. This is not possible as the pony, a youngster has had two previous owners including her breeder.
Should I wait a little longer or go with my suspicion that she didn’t actually post it. I cannot understand why someone in the equine world wouldn’t understand how important the vaccination record is.

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve heard this week of someone requesting a new passport. The passport organisation sent it out and it got lost in the post. They are now suggesting that the owner asks to vet to do the application again, so another call out fee and whatever it costs to them to complete It. They must have a copy of the application surely? No wonder people don’t bother!

Schollym

Visit site
Did you get a new passport or just the old one amended
It was a new passport as we had added a little to the horses name. She transferred foal photos that were in the back ( filly is only 2) but not the vaccinations which she could have included as a separate sheet. As this was an very important document we sent it be recorded delivery to the society.

Reactions: DD

charterline

Visit site
I’ve had similar problems with foreign passport.

They did send vacs back, but I now have to pay a large number of vets to rewrite thevacs into new passport

sywell

Visit site
I sent a passport to the society for a change of ownership and a name change. Paid the fees, a passport was returned minus the vaccination record. The secretary had printed out a new passport.
I contacted the society secretary immediately and she said she would post it immediately. Nearly a week later I am still waiting and her response was that she posted it and perhaps I could ask the vet just to update the records. This is not possible as the pony, a youngster has had two previous owners including her breeder.
Should I wait a little longer or go with my suspicion that she didn’t actually post it. I cannot understand why someone in the equine world wouldn’t understand how important the vaccination record is.
Lost passports in the post end up in Royal Mail's sorting office it used to be in Belsfast. For recorded delivery Royal Mail say it has been delivered and show the signature and it could be any body. It is worth the extra cost of special delivery for all horse documents ,i know this seems expensive but it is worth the extra. Sending to a studbook in Europe should go by courier as royal Mail seem to be unable to trace lost post in Europe. I had one case where a horse was in livery and the passport was ent back by the PIO. In the mentime the horse had moved from the livery and when the passport came back someone must have binned it as when it was recovered it had water stains and dirt all over it.

Schollym

Visit site
I sent mine recorded delivery and got back the one with the modified name in it within a day or so of the woman saying she had printed it. Just minus the vaccinations. I emailed her immediately and she said she had popped them in the post. It is this that hadn’t turned up but I am not convinced she has sent them. Particularly when her comment in an email was for me to contact the vets involved to get the new passport updated. As the horse has changed ownership twice in two years this is not possible, I will have to have her revaccinated but I tend to seek costs.

sywell

Visit site
I sent mine recorded delivery and got back the one with the modified name in it within a day or so of the woman saying she had printed it. Just minus the vaccinations. I emailed her immediately and she said she had popped them in the post. It is this that hadn’t turned up but I am not convinced she has sent them. Particularly when her comment in an email was for me to contact the vets involved to get the new passport updated. As the horse has changed ownership twice in two years this is not possible, I will have to have her revaccinated but I tend to seek costs.

sywell

Visit site
I suggest you ask the PIO if they understand the MOPS requirements from DEFRA as it is not necessary to replace apassports in most cases. the advice is
89. Any updates to a passport must be endorsed and dated with the PIO’s official stamp. Embossing stamps are acceptable so long as they produce a clear stamp.
90. If a stamp is used to endorse a sticker then the stamp must overlap the label onto the page. This is with the exception of updating a horse’s name and ownership details, where the PIO’s stamp may be solely on the sticker so long as that sticker contains the animal’s UELN and microchip number.

Schollym

Visit site
I suggest you ask the PIO if they understand the MOPS requirements from DEFRA as it is not necessary to replace apassports in most cases. the advice is
89. Any updates to a passport must be endorsed and dated with the PIO’s official stamp. Embossing stamps are acceptable so long as they produce a clear stamp.
90. If a stamp is used to endorse a sticker then the stamp must overlap the label onto the page. This is with the exception of updating a horse’s name and ownership details, where the PIO’s stamp may be solely on the sticker so long as that sticker contains the animal’s UELN and microchip number.
Thankyou for this information

sywell

Visit site
I think you have shown why it is best not to re issue a pasport things get lost. There is no real reason for a PIO to issue another passport for a change of ownership or name. DEFRA's policy is
“Re-issued passport” – a passport (maintains previous food chain status) re- issued in the following situations:

a) A reissue of a foreign passport by a UK PIO within 30 days of completing the customs procedure for an horse imported from a third country where the passport was issued by a recognised body (Art 14(a) of the 2016 regulation), food chain status is clear but the existing passport cannot be amended to comply with article 7(2) of the 2016 EU Regulation; b) A subsequent passport issued when a breeding and production horse is upgraded to a registered horse and the existing passport cannot be adapted; c) A substitute passport for one that is damaged but remains fully bound, clearly legible throughout and free of signs of fraud;