Passport problems when viewing new pony

Sponymum

Visit site
Hi all,

I need some advice. We have been to see a pair of Shetlands and it’s come to light that one of them doesn’t have a passport and the guy said he’s never had one for him (pony is 16) the other pony does have a passport so we are a bit stuck on what to do. We really want to buy them both to keep them together. I truly believe the guys been a bit naive about the whole passport issue as he seemed pretty shocked when we said we’d need one rather than anything suspicious. Ponies have been used mainly as pets over the last few years and then just to allow his grandchildren the odd sit on.
We want to pick them up asap so any advice would be great as to what next steps would be?
thanks in advance

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Personally I would buy them and apply for a passport for the one that doesn't have one. I'd try and knock the price down on the basis that you will have to pay for the vet to do the ID drawing and the chip and for the passport. He's committing a crime selling them without one. I'm not sure if you would be doing anything criminal in buying without one, I don't think so. But in any case there hasn't been a conviction of a private individual for not having a passport that I've ever heard of. ETA the travel without a passport would be illegal, so if you are worried about that (I wouldn't be) I'd try and get him to bring them to you.

Sponymum

Visit site
Personally I would buy them and apply for a passport for the one that doesn't have one. I'd try and knock the price down on the basis that you will have to pay for the vet to do the ID drawing and for the passport. He's committing a crime selling them without one. I'm not sure if you would be doing anything criminal in buying without one, I don't think so. But in any case there hasn't been a conviction of a private individual for not having a passport that I've ever heard of.

Thank you! Our only worry is how we actually transport them ?? im
Not sure how long a passport would take to arrive? Can we transport them on an ID drawing? Thanks

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you are as certain as you can be that the vendor has owned the passportless pony for several years, seen old photos etc, then I would buy the pony and sort out the passport afterwards. As above try to knock the price down to account for your having to pay the vet etc.

ETA, I would take the risk of travelling the pony without a passport tbh, unless you need to use a professional transporter who will require the passport to travel with the pony. Or better still ask the vendor to provide the transport, then the (minute) risk is his.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I would ask him to get the pony a passport first. I'm not sure what that involves these days. Are their annual jabs uptodate as normally the vet would update the records in the passport. How long has he owned the pony

bonny

Visit site
Thank you! Our only worry is how we actually transport them ?? im
Not sure how long a passport would take to arrive? Can we transport them on an ID drawing? Thanks
I wouldn’t worry about it, people lose passports all the time but I would get 100 pounds off the price to cover the cost of getting a new one. Just pick them up, no one is going to check.

scruffyponies

Visit site
If you're nervous about travelling without a passport (and don't be, since nobody checks), simply pop any old passport in the glove box, ready for whoever wants to look. I guarantee if you tell a policeman confidently that your shetland is the cleveland bay, no questions will be asked, unless they are of the 'how tall will he be when he's fully grown?' variety.

Snowfilly

Visit site
No decent transport firm will take a horse without a passport unless it’s an emergency. I’ve been asked to send pics of my passports when booking transport over the phone.

If you or him have your own transport, I’d go for it, get £100 or so knocked off to cover the cost of the passporting and go ahead. It really isn’t a problem to get replacement ones, my youngster is on a replacement for one that got ruined in a house flood and someone else got a replacement for one a puppy had had; the vets and PIOs never asked any questions at all.

Jess1994PM

Visit site
When i bought my filly she hadn't had her first passport yet - i was given the papers to send off in my name and it was £32 pounds for a passport and arrived within 5 working days - Maybe you could pay a deposit under the signed contract that you are waiting on a passport so your not taking a risk but no one else can view/buy. If i was buying something that he hadnt had for that long that he has never owned a passport for I would be a little worried about stolen horses but if he has had the pair for that long i wouldnt be suspicious x

Jess1994PM

Visit site
When i bought my filly she hadn't had her first passport yet - i was given the papers to send off in my name and it was £32 pounds for a passport and arrived within 5 working days - Maybe you could pay a deposit under the signed contract that you are waiting on a passport so your not taking a risk but no one else can view/buy. If i was buying something that he hadnt had for that long that he has never owned a passport for I would be a little worried about stolen horses but if he has had the pair for that long i wouldnt be suspicious x
Also my filly was delivered to me by transport and i had the passport at my house as I sent it off. so it wasnt with her during the travel and no one checked anything all the way from wales (1 hour 30 min journey) just in case you did decide to travel without.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There are various agencies that you can apply for a passport through. As for travelling the pony home, I wouldn't worry, it is highly unlikely that you will ever be stopped by police officers who actually know the ins & outs of horse passports. Negociate the price down because of not having a passport, pay the money, load him & take him home.

Trouper

Visit site
I think I might be cautious about putting the onus on the seller to sort out a passport. It doesn't sound as if he is the sort to be bothered about the admin and may just think it is easier to offload them to someone else who doesn't ask questions.

If you really like them and want them to stay together (I would!!) then I would buy them at any slightly reduced price you can negotiate and then self-drive or get an understanding friend to collect with/for you. I would not be at all worried about police checks on the journey. You are hardly gun-running!

J&S

Visit site
I bought my companion pony without a passport. I applied for one on fast track, vet did paper work (and got it wrong first time!) The pony was microchipped which may have helped but I can guarantee you won't have any problems. I got the passport before travelling her because my friend who did it for me does work as a courier for a living and i did not want her to get into trouble travelling a passportless pony, just in case. Just because there is no passport does not mean its a dodgy deal.

Lois Lame

Visit site
If you're nervous about travelling without a passport (and don't be, since nobody checks), simply pop any old passport in the glove box, ready for whoever wants to look. I guarantee if you tell a policeman confidently that your shetland is the cleveland bay, no questions will be asked, unless they are of the 'how tall will he be when he's fully grown?' variety.

LOL. That was a good giggle.

Tronk

Visit site
It’s no problem getting a pony repassported- I did via my vet with no dramas. Remember though that there is not only the cost of passport reissue & vet visit, but starting all vaccinations again from scratch as no passport no vaccine record. So I’d definitely be asking for a discount!