Passport s/ Overstamping, transfer of ownership, having to pay 2 passport agencies!

b8xey

Visit site
Hi all
Just wondered if any one can help me with this,
I have an Appaloosa mare who has a passport with The Horse Passport Agency. This passport has been overstamped by the previous owners with BAPs (British appaloosa society)
I have changed ownership details with the Horse Passport Agency and so my name is on the Mares passport so i am the owner.
The mare had a foal and as he is a full near spotted appaloosa he is being passported with BAPs.
He can only have a part breed passport as both parents although appaloosas , they are not both registered with baps.
To get the Mares name on the passport i have now been told i have to also pay BAPs transfer of ownership £15. I dont understand why when i have a passport for the horse that is in my name, and they have already overstamped the passport in the past, why i now have to pay another agency another fee just so i can get the dams name on the foals passport, whats more, where does my £15 go? The passport already has my name on and already has a Baps stamp on it? So what am i paying the money for?
I know all of this may sound a little petty, but i have had so many issues with this its getting beyond a joke, i know both parents of the foal, they are both clearly appaloosa's but i cant get the names of them on the passport as they arent registered with baps, also the foal is a gelding so it is only for personal benefit to have the names on the passport!
Any help or coments welcome, thanks alot xx

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Weatherbys want £80 to add a mare that's already in your name onto the broodmare register; unless this is done you won't be able to register any full TB foal out of her with them. I presume it is so your mare can go on their breeding register and would be a one off payment how many foals she has but stand to be corrected of course.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Don't bother, then.

£15 is not a lot. Why do you want him registered? For showing?

It's like dogs, mine aren't KC registered because the sire isn't. I knew this when I got them, surely you knew the foal's sire wasn't registered when you used him to cover the mare?

b8xey

Visit site
Hi, i know £15 isnt alot but if you add it to the 17 i had to pay the horse passport agency to alter the passport with them and then add it to 50 as well that the foals passport has also cost it is adding up lol, i would not bother but the foal was sold and the new owners want the dam and sire on and i agree that it is nice to have them on rather than 'unknown' it just all seems to be a pain! And a bit of a money making scheme when the horse already has a passport in my name!

b8xey

Visit site
Oh and i bought the mare to save her going to market and then found she was in foal, then found i knew the sire of the foal, so yes i knew he wasnt registered and knew the foal could only be passported as a part breed due to lack knowledge of pedigree, which is all fine, the only issue i have is why i have to change ownership at two different passport agencies as it just seems un fair, hope that makes sense lol x

Dubsie

Visit site
It's a shame you didn't apply to BAP to have the passport changed to one of theirs in the new name when you bought the mare as it would probably have been slightly cheaper than doing it now.

Our oldie came with a tatty generic passport + his rather excellent breeding (dad was a very famous sire of HOYS winners) as a separate booklet from the breed society, so I enquired and it worked out only slightly more than just having the name change in the original passport to get the breed society to apply to the other passport agency to cancel the old passport and reissue a smart blue plastic covered passport of their own complete with the breeding info in, which is handy, less paperwork to loose! From memory I think it was £25 as opposed to £15 for name changing the old passport

b8xey

Visit site
Yes that would have been alot easier to have done it that way! I dont know why i didnt think of doing that now, i just thought that with having it overstamped anyway it was just as good as a passport with them i really didnt think id have to pay two agencies to change my name xx