Passporting....??

K95

Visit site
Hiya.. can someone please give me the lowdown/advice on passporting as I have no clue on it all haha

Needing to passport a 2.5 year old colt, he's currently at a friends who lives an hour away, obviously I can't move him until he is PPed. He is part welsh, does this mean I have to go with a Welsh PP under the part welsh thing - therefore blood would need to be taken as well as microchipping? The only issue is he is quite unhandled therefore for a vet to microchip him and do bloods he would probably need to be tranquilised?

Or am I able to by choice just get a general horse passport (or is this only allowed when a horse is a massive mixture of all sorts?) would this only require microchipping and not bloods? He would potentially stand still long enough with a calmer for microchipping, but not for bloods. I'd avoid tranq if I can.

My car is off the road for the foreseeable with it being the xmas period and garages are stowed up, needing to move asap - do these tend to take a long time to come through? TIA

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You can get your passport from numerous agencies, Horse Passport Agency is one. As for micro chipping your horse, take advice from your vet about it. You may find that to microchip the horse will be as quick as sedating him. As for moving him without a passport, it is illegal but there are so few checks out there that you would be unlikely to be stopped.

K95

Visit site
I wouldn’t risk moving him without a PP as it would be just my luck to be stopped ?. I don’t have my own van though so will be using a transporter anyway who willl require passport legally

Bs_mum

Visit site
Passport with whoever you wish.
Unless you can prove you’re horses breeding, you’ll need to have a DNA test. But they won’t passport without a microchip. Just warn your vet he’s unhandled when booking your appointment.

flying_high

Visit site
You only need blood and DNA testing if you are wanting to claim a specific breeding. General passporting and microchipping can be done fairly easily and cheaply. I'd book the next zone / cheap vet appointment and have that done. I think at this time of year, the passport return part might take 2-3 weeks from send off date?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I wouldn’t risk moving him without a PP as it would be just my luck to be stopped ?. I don’t have my own van though so will be using a transporter anyway who willl require passport legally

Yes, they will

To my knowledge nobody has ever been prosecuted for not having a passport.

No reputable transporter will load without the passport.

OP, good luck :)

sywell

Visit site
You will need an ID only passport and should use a recognised breed society who also issue ID only ,with Brexit the commercial PIO passports may be a problem with the EU but it is expected DEFRA will get recognition for the studbooks.

K95

Visit site
Just for reference for anyone else who may read this thread.

Vet had same feelings as me that if we grabbed him just to microchip it’s going to scare him and cause bigger problems down the line.

I’ve been advised to move without a PP - if I did get caught I’ve got the vets (now cancelled) booking proving that I had planned to microchip but that it wasn’t possible. She said as long as I get him done in the near future it will be fine.

fredflop

Visit site
I can’t imagine a vet has told you to move the horse without a passport.

If you are using a transporter they will want a passport. I wouldn’t even move a friends horse without a passport

K95

Visit site
I can’t imagine a vet has told you to move the horse without a passport.

If you are using a transporter they will want a passport. I wouldn’t even move a friends horse without a passport

She did.

I had the appointment booked for microchipping and got told the vet would ring me to discuss it as I warned them he was unhandled.

She rang me this morning and said she wouldn’t do it so was cancelling the appointment. She said it’s the lesser of 2 evils as I’m having to move him to give me the facilities to tame him down and allow microchipping and that I need to ring them as soon as he’s tame enough for it to be done

She advised I get a friend or self hire to move with.

I’m not going to argue with that as it makes it a lot easier for me and the horse.

Five&Two

Visit site
You need to get a different vet to do it before moving then, your vet is talking bollocks and you could easily be in serious trouble

K95

Visit site
You need to get a different vet to do it before moving then, your vet is talking bollocks and you could easily be in serious trouble

I don’t seem to have any other option? I emailed every single vet within a suitable distance. All of them said he would need to be stabled (there is no stables). This was the one practice willing to do it in the field.

meleeka

Visit site
Last edited:

K95

Visit site
Has anyone actually had any experience being prosecuted for a lack of passport? I’ve just googled and apparently there have been two. In the whole of the UK. Pretty incredible when you consider how many horses don’t have them, especially where owners are already being prosecuted for cruelty or neglect anyway.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...28/apha-section80-returns-2018-accessible.pdf

That was an interesting read! Haha thanks for that!

I’d much prefer to do things by the book but there literally is no other option ! I’ve done my best :)