Passports / Defra/ Equine Sector Council

jofwigby

Visit site
I am incensed that the failure of DEFRA to get the EU Passport system sorted by Jan 1st, means that Passport Law now cannot be enforced.

Councils are now expected to fork out huge sums to remove flygrazers yet they now have no way to address the problem at source. Of course, most didn't check any anyway, but inroads were being made.

WHW broke the story via H&H last week, yet most of the stakeholders have known all along that this would happen. Also talking to a Trading Standards Animal Health officer the other day, he says it will be at least 2018 before this fiasco is sorted out.

So everyone in the know knew, but the public were not told in time to pressure DEFRA to get interim measures in place.

There is loads of fuss about the new dog microchipping legislation yet ours seems to have fallen by the wayside with no questions asked.

Equi

Visit site
Govs/councils really just don't care about horses. Its such a shame, because i would wager they provide a hell of a lot of work and money in the ecconomy.

Rollin

Visit site
Is there a link for this item, I cannot find it on H&H News.

This week I received an email from the French Equestrian Federation reminding me that I cannot compete my horses if they are not registered on SIRE, the National Equine Database.

Everything relates to SIRE. You cannot compete with or breed from a horse which is not registered on the NED. You cannot obtain covering certificates for stallions which are not swabbed, vaccinated and blood tested for virus. You cannot obtain a lab report without the SIRE number being entered by the vet, you cannot register on SIRE without a passport.

For sure I know of pet ponies who are not registered but for the most part the system works.

jofwigby

Visit site
High end breeding, competing and international travel will be unaffected as these horses are identified to the max - it is the low end where Passports / chips are a Welfare issue, that it is essential the system works.

Roly Owers at World Horse Welfare is the only person who has made a statement - think it's on H&H VIP bit - have got a picture but can't work out how to load on here.

Last edited: