Pastern dermatitis

Cheekycob2

Visit site
Hey guys, am potentially about to purchase a cob and have just received his up to date vet report. Report suggests numerous checks for pastern infections and thickening of skin around pasterns with creams prescribed for the past couple of years. Im not sure now if i should purchase the horse. . Have asked if it is cpl but current owner says no, it is mud fever. Not really sure what to say / do / think now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏻

meleeka

Visit site
It’s incredibly common in cobs. I would think the value of him would be reduced as it’s on his vet records as any insurance would exclude his pasterns/skin, so it’s up to you whether you think he’s worth it.

When I had one with the condition, I found that as long as I kept her legs clipped, it didn’t re-occur. Has he got any symptoms now?

Goldenstar

Visit site
My cob Blue arrived with his pasterns in a terrible state dreadful deep weeping wounds that where years years old .
With regular clipping and a regime that suits him they are not a problem .
He lives out all the year but they all had to come in for a few weeks this spring because the fields where unusable.

Cheekycob2

Visit site
Update - have spoken to vet who has advised it is cpl, they have said that it is very common in cobs but im not too sure that i should purchase knowing this information. 🤷‍♀️

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am amazed that you got as far as the vetting if his legs are bad enough for it to be CPL. Did you not notice the scabs?

I attended a vetting last summer, vet noted some old scars/thickened skin on the cob and called it CPL but said that he was fit for the purpose that he was required for. He certainly didn't think the 'CPL' was a reason to cancel the purchase