Pasture/yard rent increases.

giveitago

Visit site
My landlord is trying to increase my yearly rent by 50% this year. Apparently, rents have doubled over the last few years and I need to 'catch up'.

Has anyone else seen hefty increases over the last few years? What is yearly rent per acre of grass these days?

I fear neither me or my liveries will cope with even a 20% increase let alone a 50% one.

Any advice?

Nicnac

Visit site
It's not your fault he hasn't increased the rent in line with inflation. What does your contract say? I pay £15 a week for 3 acres and have paid the same for the past 17 years (in South East). Water trough is in my name so that's on top of rent but is peanuts and as the land surrounds my own fields, I pay for all maintenance etc.

Mimi2610

Visit site
£200 per annum per acre is the going rate. Rent on yards seem to be getting ridiculous these days but a 50% increase is way over the top. £40 per box per week max for state of the art facilities, £20/25 is roughly what it is for good facilities.

My old landlord tried to get me to pay £2500 for 11 acres for 4 months on top of the £1300pm that I was paying for the yard, I said no and moved out as was losing money. Yard is now lying empty as nobody will pay the rent.

Visit site
My landlord is trying to increase my yearly rent by 50% this year. Apparently, rents have doubled over the last few years and I need to 'catch up'.

Has anyone else seen hefty increases over the last few years? What is yearly rent per acre of grass these days?

I fear neither me or my liveries will cope with even a 20% increase let alone a 50% one.

Any advice?

I think it depends what your contract says ( if you have one ) you could have some grounds for a contract if you have paid the same rent for a number of years - even if not written down. I cant see how rents have doubled over the last couple of years !
Sometimes a chit chat over a coffee with your landlord may help and try to see a way foward - even though your landlord may want more rent - a good tenant who pays on time is worth alot in this day and age ( which im sure you are :) )