Patent cavesson noseband or plain? Kent and Masters s-series of Thorowgood T8 dressage saddle

Green Bean

Visit site
I am looking at kitting out my mare for dressage. Up until this point we have a good brown GP/jumping saddle and snaffle bridle (no flash). I bought her as a show jumper with little flatwork balance, but she is showing such potential for dressage 10 months on that I am thinking she may do well at low level dressage to start. I have never owned or ridden in a dressage saddle so it is a bit of a mine field for the uninformed. I know all the literature, but in the end, saddles I have bought have been through my saddler who brings me a selection of second saddles to try until I find the one that feels comfortable for me. This time round, I am looking at purchasing a new saddle from a nearby equestrian shop. My budget does not run to the likes of Albion, so am looking at the Thorowgood and K&M - any opinions on comfort/softness of these saddles? As the saddle will be black, I am looking at a new black bridle - any opinions on patent leather nose bands? I have read in other threads about them being prone to scratching so presume they need extra care

abbijay

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about buying any new gear just yet. Go and try a few dressage tests and see how you get on before you splash the cash.
I got up to Elementary in my GP saddle and my existing snaffle bridle.
When I did upgrade the saddle I bought second hand from a dealer so I could try a few within my budget (£500). I found I like a saddle with big knee blocks but that's not everyone's choice so you do need to try a few, not to mention what works best for your horse. K&M and Thorowgood are on the same trees so beware that if these don't fit your horse right you will need to look at other options.
I also still haven't upgraded my snaffle bridle - it's brown and the saddle's black but that didn't stop me scoring points at BD.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Give yourself a few months competing before you go splashing out on new kit. You can do low level dressage in what you have. Once you get good enough to move up and affiliate then treat yourself.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, what they say. I do low level dressage in a brown GP saddle with micklem bridle.

If and when you do upgrade, get a decent saddle fitter out to try different shapes and styles on your horse - tell them you want a black dressage saddle and your budget. I wouldn't buy from a local equestrian shop unless I could try them with a saddle fitter there to assess.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm not going to comment on the saddle but, but I love a nice patent nose band!I just bought my little mare this one, well not this exact one, but the same style and colour etc. I find them fine although I dont let them rub their faces on anything.

1560360829554.png!