Pathetically keen to showjump but has four left hooves

Mike007

Visit site
I have to face tha facts , Bob the nota cob is absolutely pants at showjumping , even the dealer I bought him from had to admit this. But here is the sad thing, he absolutely loves it, and will never refuse anything EVER! He will nap out hacking,INTO the drive of the neighboring riding school in search of showjumps, getting him past the ponyclub field requires a great deal of tact, and even the local dog agility course seems to have taken his fancy. But the honest truth is that he has four left hooves and rarely leaves a jump standing. I tried to do a clear round jumping course of tiny cross poles and poles on the ground, he knocked down a pole on the ground .NOBODY CAN BE THAT BAD SURELY!And yet he still thinks it just wonderful, Irish daft ,age 10 17HH . SO Sad ! Do you have one like him?

Lolo

Visit site
Reg loves show jumping now. But a lot of that love comes from that fact it is 90 seconds where he does pretty much whatever he fancies while Al begs and pleads with him to convince him to pretend to listen to her. If he has fewer than 3 poles he's disappointed :D

Mike007

Visit site
Bob has even been known to duck out mid way between two jumps and jump a random jump BACKWARDS (the jump ,not him). He also misunderstood a half halt once and went out over the outdoor school fence.

3Beasties

Visit site
Lol, LOVE this thread, bless his little cottons!!

Have you tried loose schooling him? Also working him over and around poles on the ground to help him realise where his hooves are might help.

cptrayes

Visit site
Mike I have one who has been with me since mid May and still falls over the four inch high block in his doorway that keeps the stable from being flooded. He's been in and out of that stable every single day. I'm not looking forward much to teaching him to jump :)

Bob's in good company!

Mike007

Visit site
Lol, LOVE this thread, bless his little cottons!!

Have you tried loose schooling him? Also working him over and around poles on the ground to help him realise where his hooves are might help.
Yep we are doing the poles on the ground thing with an instructor that I feel I can work with . (she doesnt bullshit and she does compete ).As for loose schooling ,well after the half halt incident, I do have to be a bit careful. It wasnt a problem for him going out of the school, but then he spotted a rider on the ground EXACTLY like the one he had on his back ..........ooooops!He then ran backwards through the fence which unfortunately carried the armoured cable for the lights which also came down. What was he to do? People were certainly going to ask questions! Brilliant Idea ,run over to mike and try to hide under his hi viz coat. Pathetic really!

Trules

Visit site
awww bless him. does he jump better over bigger fences? some just can't be bothered when the jumps are too small. i get a much better jump out of my mare when the fences are higher.