Paying for half of part loan on the weeks you aren’t up!

C123

Visit site
Hi everyone,

As per the title, are you expect as a part loaner to still pay half of the part loan weeks you can’t make it up?
Am currently part loaning a horse 4 days a week and have just been asked to pay for half of my weekly cost for when I cannot make it up!

paddi22

Visit site
That’s a bizarre thought that you shouldn’t pay? Imagine renting a flat from a landlord and saying you don’t think you should pay for the weeks you are on holiday? It just wouldn’t happen. When you pay for a loan you are paying for exclusive use of the horse for days agreed, regardless of whether you make it up.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Most owners loan or share for help not money. The money is a welcome contribution to costs but is not the key issue. The biggest asset of a loaner/share is commitment and reliability. You should not only be paying for weeks you can’t make it up but actually finding cover on those days/weeks if the loan includes jobs. If you want your loan to last I think you need to understand a bit more about why owners offer loans/shares and what the expectations are. It’s not like hiring a car. Ie not pay-as-you-go.

Cloball

Visit site
Maybe the OP has misunderstood the arrangement of say a casual share in which I could kind of understand not paying when you don't go up and, what I understand, part loan to be a more formal agreement of part time loan.

Skib

sites.google.com
I share a horse. I continued to pay during the first lock down and now again while maybe locked down a second time. I thought sharing was like owning? You pay regardless of whether or not you can ride. I am only too thankful that the horse is being looked after and has any necessary exercise while I cannot visit the yard. This payment is voluntary but it is not without consequences. It keeps the share in existence. And while we are locked down, I cant use my riding budget for anything else.
But then the mare is my hacking companion. I love her dearly. I think about her and how to ride her. So it isnt just financial.

little_critter

Visit site
OP, who does the daily care of the horse on ‘your days’ on the weeks you don’t go to the yard?
Is the owner needing to cover your jobs, or pay the yard to care for the horse because you’ve not turned up?
Either way this is costing the owner in time or money.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
As everyone else has said part loan / share is a commitment. The expectation is to pay and exercise / care for the horse the number of days you commit to. It is a good deal - you don’t have the upfront costs of the horse, tack etc. and the risk of vet bills etc.