Paying someone to ride?

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok, so I have my 14.2hh pony who is gradually getting better at jumping. He can now do an 80cm course happily enough.
I have a 12yr old going to ride him fo rmy in the junior dengie( for my own pleasrure, I'm too old and he shoudl do well as he's a demon at speed rounds). My question is, who should pay the entry fee? I kind of thought I would..but not sure?
I don't think I'll be giving her any money to ride so maybe if I pay entry how does that sound?
She is ismply getting on the pony at the competition. No grooming/tak cleaning/transport required.
Anything else I should think of?

Tia

Visit site
When I used to ride and compete for other people they paid the entry fees AND they paid me to ride. However I was quite a bit older than 12......I'm really not sure what you should do. Perhaps speak to the girl's Mum and see what they are expecting?

not_with_it

Visit site
When riding for other people I always say who ever pays the entry fee gets the rosette or prize money if we do well.
I would say the person who suggested the show and wanted the horse to go should pay. If she wanted to do it then she should pay, if you asked her to do it then you pay.

pixie

Visit site
I would have thought that if she isn't paying anything for riding it/its upkeep then it would be more than fair to ask her to pay entry fees for anything that she wants to compete in, on the understanding that she could keep any prizes.

Skhosu

Visit site
ok.. I asked her to ride him. She's pleased to be asked etc.
Will check with parents...my thought was she could keep rosettes( would feel very mean taking a rosette off her!) and I get to see him qualify (hopefully) for the final?
It's difficult really, she has 2 of her own to ride but is apparently v. excited to be riding mine (if you're twelve, think how much you'd enjoy it!)
Hum...it's so hard!

GTs

Visit site
I would pay her something as well - if you are paying someone they are deemed a professional, understand the risks of the business, and you can not be held liable if they get hurt. Seems like 20 quid well spent to me.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
At 12 I'd have jumped at the chance! I would have been very happy with any rosettes and prize money and perhaps a burger at the show
grin.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
ok.. so some think entry fee would be enough..
what about a tenner?
Course, my parents are going to get ratty as they hate spending money on this boy!
Think I will discuss it with parents.Thanks guys for all the thoughts!

bellgave

Visit site
I think paying her entry fees, give her rosettes and all or some of the prize money as that will keep her motivated and also reward her for doing a good job!!! Thats how it use to work for me, and I thought it was fab!! Now as an adult if someone asks me to ride for them it depends on wether its a good horse which I enjoy or a so and so, if I enjoy riding I tend to let it go, if its not a nice horse I'll get paid for it, sounds a bit harsh, but if I have to ride the loopy horse, whilst the owner looks on from the safety of the ground I think I deserve it!!

filly190

Visit site
I think it depends, are you getting the pony's value up to sell? If so, I think the young rider deserves to keep the price money, or get a little thank you for the work they have put in.

If this is for pleasure, then getting a free ride, establishing your name, and perhaps being offered other rides would be the reward for the rider.

It depends who is getting what out of this arrangements and who needs who. I think it has to be a fair two way arrangment.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Hi, I think it depends on the relationship you have with the girl. If she's a friend then I doubt if she'd expect anything for riding. You should definately pay the entry fee, obviously get her to the venue, probably get her something to eat & a drink may be. Treat it like a morning out or something. If however that isn't the relationship then possibly give her something for her trouble but not too much.

Skhosu

Visit site
Parents are friends, I'm 5 yrs older so whilst get along fine, not best friends, know what I mean?
Pony is here for life. Reckon I'll start with entry fees and at the end of the season buy her a nice pressie?