PC C+ Test

airedale

Visit site
Kid in yard did brilliantly today and passed her C test with almost no comments from the examiner.

In the review thereafter she was told that she can't take C+ until she's 14 (that's fine - gives us a year) and that "the jumps will be much much bigger for the C+ test" and then handed her the syllabus.

Now the syllabus and the PC website give no idea of the height. For the C test today they jumped 2ft to 2ft 3in.

The problem I have is that I only myself did BHS exams and I don't teach PC. So WHAT is the max. height that she'll be asked to jump for a C+ test.

Her pony is 13.2 and jumps 2ft 9 to 3ft enthusiastically and is only 7 - so plenty of mileage. The kid is small and as an adult is unlikely to be much more than 5ft tall - and weighs nothing much more than a feather - so this pony will last her into her 20s as an adult without her (and her parents) having to buy a new pony.

So please can someone tell me if a pony that jumps 3ft well will be OK for the C+ test as we really don't want to change her onto anything bigger as the pony is ideal PC neddie (pony jumps SJ and XC and also does a reasonable novice dressage test).

Other quick question - what standard is C+ SM compared with BHS. I prepped her for the C test SM on the basis that it was equiv. to Stage 2. So if she's prepped SM equiv to BHS Stage 3 should that be sufficient for C+ test ?

Thanks gurus !

vic07

Visit site
when id did c+ about 10 years ago! the fences were tiny, about 2ft 6ins! think we had to do some pretend xc over some little portable, more like whp! all pcs are different though.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
With stage 2 knowledge she will pass her C+. The B test gives you direct entry to Stage 3. ANd yes the fences aren't very big. i did my C+, then BHS 1 and 2. The C+ syallbus was on the PC website but the fences aren't very big

airedale

Visit site
Thanks guys - that was what I actually thought - that 3ft would be a max. They jumped 6 in pole for D, 1ft 6 for D+ and 2ft to 2ft 3 for C - so I did kinda thought that the most they'd expect would be 6" more for C+ = making jumps 2ft 9 or so.

This PC does seem to think though that all kids should be onto horses (almost an anti-pony attitude) as soon as anything and they push the parents (most of whom are not horsey) into buying 15.2s for their kids as soon as they are 13 or so.

Plenty of these kids are on 15.2s with their legs barely 6 in below the saddle flaps - which to my mind is ridiculous - but seems to be 'flavour of the month'

Both mum and kid were saying that the comment about the jump height was made in a 'your pony won't be big enough you better get a horse' sort of tone. (Can't you just tell I'm a pony fan !!)

So it's 2ft 9 to 3ft jumps will be OK - which pony does easily - and if I prep child up to stage 3 SM for the topics in the syllabus then she'll come out with flying colours on her SM as she did today.

This pony is absolutely the right size for her with enough ooomph but not so much that the brakes fail as kid is soooo tiny. Nice nature and will turn hand to anything, does working hunter, mounted games, handy pony and the 'serious' stuff so kid will stick with her pony and just be the shortest one in the C+ test next year (horse and jockey !!!)

Thanks a lot.

spooks

Visit site
thats interesting about the jump heights...my daughter is in PC for the first time and hasnt taken any tests yet, she is 14 and her horse is 16hh..(she is 5ft 7 so legs come way past the saddle flaps) should be interesting watching him jump a tiny jump..he probably wont see it and will trip over it lol.
well done to the youngster on your yard

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Ponies rule! I wouldn't go an inch bigger than absolutely necessary either. I have tried to future proof once and although neither pony nor child were any worse for it, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO GET YOUR LEG ROUND whatever you are on. I don't think many children are mentally ready for a horse (brain) and the fun you can have on ponies is to be relished while the moment lasts. I pity parents with very tall children as folding them up on a 13.2 doesn't work either. The pony will easily do the height required for C+ and lucky lucky kid to have her full time in ponies. Sounds like she's ultra keen and well done you both with prepping for the C. My two have just done theirs and passed with flying colours. Jump height was never mentioned - but the ditch caused plenty of trouble!

Bossanova

Visit site
I failed my B test riding when I was 14, in the words of the examiners 'not because of your riding, but because your pony is too small and none of the others could ride it'
Wtf?!! My pony was 14hh, happily jumping 3ft-3'3 courses with the pony club, in the teams and I had trained him to advanced medium dressage- just because he none of the others knew which buttons to press shouldnt have been my fault
smirk.gif

The following year I took it on Boss and they passed me with flying colours, telling me that it was a great improvement to see me on a horse.

Skhosu

Visit site
Yes, I second bossanova, I failed on a 14.2 eventing pony, when apparently I would have passed on a horse. So she may need to borrow a horse for the b test( although I add I think this is grossly unfair!) however, for c+ she will be grand!