Peeing a Lot....

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
My gelding has been peeing loads recently, his coat is dull and he is starting to lose weight. He also still has a lot of his winter coat. His appetite is normal and he has plenty of energy (and attitude!). He seems happy in himself, but I just don't like the look of this. He doesn't tolerate hard feed well, so is fed mainly on forage and is turned out all day. The vet is coming out tomorrow, so I should get some answers then, although he is impossible to get blood from. I was wondering if it is Cushings? Has anyone had anything similar?

TGM

Visit site
How old is your horse? Cushings is quite common in older horses and the symptoms of excessive urination, topline wastage and coat problems are typical signs. Another sign can be fat pads filling the hollow cavities above the eyes and also laminitis. The vet can test for Cushings and can prescribe Pergolide treatment which works out quite reasonable in price these days if you get a vets prescription and source the drugs independently.

My father's old horse had Cushings and the first signs we noticed were the fat pads over the eyes and then the topline wastage, and then eventually laminitic signs in the feet.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
He's only 15, but I agree that the symptoms are fairly typical of Cushings. I feel so down about it. I just want to do the best for him. I was wondering if these symptoms are the same for other problems. Thanks for your post and the Pergolide tip. May give that a go anyway if we can't get the blood out!

kirstieg

Visit site
You have to have a prescription off the vet if you want them tablets though

Also my ponies only 5 (6 in june) and shes on them tablets

JGKJ

Visit site
I have just had my Cushings pony PTS, but he was 33. Your ponys symptoms do sound like symptoms related to Cushing's so would definatly get it tested. Also with him only being 15, started on medication and changing his diet a little could mean a vast difference to his life and theres no reason at all why he couldnt live to what a healthy horse could. My pony was only diagnosed in January and saw a real difference with Pergolide, it was just his body was to old and he developed liver failure sadly.

One more thing, if it does come back that he does have Cushing's, make sure you dont get the Pergolide off your vet, get a prescription from him and get it at your chemist, the vets prices are just rediculous. We on HHO are major campaigners for cheap Pergolide. If you need more info PM either myself, brighteyes or EllieP, both were wonderful in helping me source cheap Pergolide.

catembi

Visit site
Hello,

Don't necessarily thinkof this as a death sentence. My mare has had Cushings since she was 26 & she's now 34. She's extremely woolly, poor topline, wees a lot...but she's perfectly happy & still hacks out. We get her clipped out in summer, & the vet said not to treat the Cushings unless she gets laminitis, which she hasn't so far.

So your horse could well have years ahead of him!