Pellet bedding

Jasper151

Visit site
I know this has been asked numerous times but I am going around in circles and generally confusing myself!

I need to switch over to pellet bedding on the advice of vet. Currently on straw, with no rubber mats. Can anyone recommend a pellet brand that is not crazy expensive (14ft x 14ft stable) to start up and can be mucked out every day? I can't deep litter on the yard I am on.

Have looked at White horse but their calculator is saying I will need to put in 4 bales a week, which is not cost effective at all.

This is just a trial at this stage, so don't really want to shell out for rubber mats as well as a whole new start up bed. Obviously I will if it looks like the long term solution.

Horse is pretty clean, but I do need banks as she does like to lie down (in her poo obviously!)

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

meleeka

Visit site
Banks don’t really do a lot if they are going to get stuck imo. I use White Horse and I didn’t need as much as their calculator said. You’ll use less bedding simply because they are so absorbing so there won’t be wee patches to take out daily.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
Banks don’t really do a lot if they are going to get stuck imo. I use White Horse and I didn’t need as much as their calculator said. You’ll use less bedding simply because they are so absorbing so there won’t be wee patches to take out daily.

Agree with Meleeka. Unless your banks are very wide and solid they have little effect. Each time I need a load of pellets I go online and compare companies as they change regularly but you rarely need the amount the company says. If it works spending the money on rubber matting is worth it with wood pellet.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The idea with pellets is you only remove the poo on a daily basis and leave the wet until it rises to the surface rather than muck it out in the traditional sense. I clean the centre out once a week and fill the hole with an unsoaked bag of pellets for my very messy horse, he then activates the pellets when he pees on them. I usually put the wet from the middle around the edges which makes a bank of sorts as it sets over the winter.

HeroMaggie

Visit site
I've recently switched to White Horse Platinum and don't use anywhere near what their calculator said. I have massive stables and no rubber matting. I used 12 bags to start the beds and have put in 1 bag per week since then when I've taken the wet out. I also switched from straw and the difference in time to muck out is awesome!

I also chucking in 2 bags of shavings in to each stable to use as banks but only because the stables are in a converted barn and there is a strip of wood around the bottom and I don't want feet to get caught.

SEL

Visit site
I think my stable must be a similar size and I used 10 bags. I had a bit of a panic when it first went down because it looked a bit mean, but it rained that night and obviously the dampness in the air helped because by the next morning it was twice the size.

I'm not sure my YO is convinced by my plans to deep litter on it, but the stables are well draining and I barely fill 1/2 barrow when I muck out. I've still got 1 on straw and will be changing him over too as soon as I can.

9tails

Visit site
There's a calculator? My horse would be standing about 3 feet above the ground if I added 4 bags every week.

Jnhuk, White Horse Platinum Plus is far superior and cheaper. I've tried Sorbeo, they're dark and not very absorbent - in fact they ruined my White Horse bed.

eggs

Visit site
I use either White Horse Platinum or Sparklets - depends which is cheaper when I order them.

I do have rubber mats in my stables (12' wide x 18' deep) but do have a thick bed in the back 2/3 of the stable. I skip out daily and take the wet out once a week. I use between 1 - 2 bags per week (usually about 3 per fortnight). I don't do banks and my horses all lie down.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Jnhuk, White Horse Platinum Plus is far superior and cheaper. I've tried Sorbeo, they're dark and not very absorbent - in fact they ruined my White Horse bed.

Thanks 9tails for the info but interesting to see your experience was very different to my friends. Went up to see their stables and looks very absorbent and they certainly not had any of the issues you mentioned and they been using it for over 6 months now. It didn't look dark but then again they have huge stables in well light large shed so maybe looked less dark for that reason. Still prefer look of a shavings bed but I will get over that if this type of bedding works for me!

I cannot get the WH platinum plus to be cheaper? As from the research I have done, it is illegal to claim the reduced 5% VAT since I am not using these products as heating or a business so my sums are as follows:
Sorbeo per pallet (990kg of bedding) is £270 including 20% VAT and delivery
WH Platinum Plus per pallet (960kg of bedding) is just over £290 including 20% VAT & delivery may be included or have extra surcharge depending on postcode
Sparklets is £245 (980kg) but need to order to find out if VAT and delivery costs are included

May have to get a sample of each product and do a compare and contrast as certainly would prefer to go with the most cost effective bedding without compromising on quality

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
I use white horse.
Put down 8 bags to start and add 1 or 2 bags a week.
I found it cheaper and quicker to muck out. I've a discount code pm me if you want it.

HeroMaggie

Visit site
I think if you look there are a few discount codes for WHP sure they are for 5% - every little helps.

I seen the Sorbeo bedding at Your House Live and it seemed good but it was really dark compared to WHP which put me off.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I'm a new user of the White Horse Platinum pellets and I have to say I'm impressed. My incredibly scruffy mare has a bed which is clean and dry and takes less than ten minutes to muck out. The poo has all the moisture sucked out of it by the bedding so doesn't seem to stick to the horse when it is laid on either and only poo and hay goes in the barrow as all the bedding is shaken back into the bed. Its a million times better than straw and a thousand times better than Easibed.