Pelvis and Possible Scan URGENT PLEASE

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Are you wanting pelvis specific advice, or are you just wanting to know more about the bone scan procedure?
smile.gif

Marnie

Visit site
I posted last week about my mare that is having problems with her pelvis, but I am not going the bone scan route, she is having 3 months rest on bute.

Marnie

Visit site
Sorry, should have said, she did have a bone scan due to hind lameness about 4 years ago which detected a 'hot spot' on her pelvis, but she also had an issue with her fetlock and the hot spot wasn't felt to be an issue at the time. Oh how things come back to bite you!!

Marnie

Visit site
The bute isn't really making any difference, she has already been on it for around 6 weeks, so it is more of an anti-inflammatory thing. I am not holding out much hope for return to soundness at the moment, it's hard to be positive in all this rain!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Time can be a wonderful thing - I hope it is in your case.
I'm struggling to feel positive too - my mare that I was dreading having the nerve blocks with has been diagnosed as a potential wobbler and is having a full body scintigraphy scan next week
crazy.gif
frown.gif

Marnie

Visit site
Oh no, what a nightmare, hope that the scan shows up something much more simple! Will be thinking of you next week....

FabulousFlynn'sMum

Visit site
Hi Marnie, Thanks for your reply, sorry to just get back to you. Its a long story really. My friend had called in and was upset as its looking more and more like she's gonna lose her boy and I wanted to show her your post.

To explain as briefly as I can, he's a 17.3 HW hunter, he started showing signs of lameness about 12 weeks ago in one hind leg, we took him to her local vets at Barnard Castle about 10 weeks ago and again briefly, they nerve blocked him from his hoof to his stifle (that was as far as they could go, they were xraying him too) and nothing showed up. Over the last four to six weeks, he has gone down hill so quickly they referred him to Liverpool Vet School where I took him a week past friday. Liverpool thought it could be a abcess/tumour on his pelvis so wanted to do the gamma scintigraphy then possibly emergency surgery afterwards to remove the abcess/tumour if they found one. The scan came back clear, he has extremel muscle wastage on his backend and both back legs, he's lame and dragging both back legs now and the vets at Liverpool are at a loss, they just have no idea what the problem is. He has had an extreme reaction to bute/danilon which manifested in huge swellings (his sheath swelled to about 5 times it size!) and him losing protein thru his colon, so therefore putting him on bute is now not an option.

The orthopedic surgeon is going to look more into possible stifle problems (even tho this was investigated at her original vets and showed nothing), but they now think the prognosis is poor as they feel his quality of life is now suffering.

Its absolutely heartbreaking, his is only ten and my friend and her daughter bottle raised him from almost newborn.

They have agreed to see if anything comes from the stifle investigations tomorrow but the surgeon is saying that any problem they can find in his stifle must be so severe to be causing him the problems he's having that its doubtful they can do anything for him anyway. My friend and her daughter are going to go down to the vets on Wednesday to possibly say goodbye to him. God im in tears for them writing this.

Thanks anyway hun for your prompt reply to my post and I really hope you manage to get the lovely Marnie right again.

Love Jayne xx

Marnie

Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear about your friends horse, it sounds like an awful situation. Marnie's condition obviously isn't as acute as his, but I know what it is like not to get a real diagnosis.

Please give your friend my (((hugs))).

BeckyD

Visit site
Hello that may have been me - look at my previous posts. My lad is at Cambridge waiting for a bone scan for a possible fractured pelvis or fracture in lumbar/sacral area. He may be scanned next week.