People need to think hard before they rehome a TB

Luci07

Visit site
It's because ex racers are cheap. They are normally stunning horses and in a different price bracket from most of the market. I have bought 2 Tb's out of auction (nit raced but had trained) and as a reasonably competent amateur, I reckon it took me a year to turn them into "normal" RC horses. Obviously a pro could do this quicker. Mine were both easy horses but I have seen others with much bigger needs and quirks.

stormox

Visit site
But whoever let this mare get into this condition would have neglected any horse in their care, as they are obviously incompetant and uncaring. There was never any suggestion that the mare was 'awkward' 'difficult' or 'quirky'. This is just pure evil neglect and I hope whoever let her get into this state got prosecuted.

Ceriann

Visit site
You only have to look at re-homing websites to see this is not a TB only issue. I have re-homed a charity horse, she was v poorly before she came to me as a result of the owners lack of knowledge. She was lucky that the owner eventually called the vet who then treated her for free on the basis the owner signed her over to charity (I got her at the end of her illness). As an unbroken mare with potential health issues she was not the most attractive prospect for re-homing but almost 3 years later she's just been backed and no further problems. She looks like she'll make a decent riding mare but it's not been easy and it definitely hasnt been cheap.

honetpot

Visit site
I think if this makes anyone one think twice before they buy or sell one its a good thing.
I have owned a TB, have a friend who is a racehorse trainer and I have visited the big TB studs/stable and whilst just like people they are different types with different temperaments, most will not survive with minimal care where a native cob/M&M/ black white will survive poor management for a longer period.
If you have had horses for many years the chances are you will have bought or sold one. I try to find the best home and would not sell to anyone who I thought could not provide for an animals basic needs long term, but the truth is people lie and that's after weeding out the deluded that think they can ride and can keep something in the back yard with no exercise or turnout.
Anyone who buys a TB and thinks it will not need extra feed, regular quality shoeing, shelter or rugs, expert handling and maybe a companion help it through stressful situations is perhaps not going to be the best owner, that before they even get on it.
The racing industry did get this horse in this condition, and perhaps who ever bought her had the best intentions, its when they want to get rid of it quick in ends in up in the downward spiral and ends up dumped in Wales.

Its not just TB's that are being dumped in Wales, there are plenty of types to choose from. I think the message I would like people,perhaps not on here, need undertand a horse costs a lot of money to look after well, through sickness and health and if you can not commit time and money, do not get one. If you get one and run out of money and the animal has issues, dumping should not be an option, be honest with yourself and have it shot.

popsdosh

Visit site
I did read your comment poshdosh and your words were that in general most rehomed horses end up neglected. I do find that a ridiculous statement unless you have evidence to back it up? I also suggest you take your own advice and read more carefully as I did not ask whether you breed your own horses or not. I asked if you yourself had ever bought a horse which I assume at some stage you have?

Please point out where I say that or apologise as you have just skimmed over it and come to a conclussion.

These are the words again ' every horse should be given the best home you can find for them in general over many years most horses appear to end up in neglect from rehoming to people who dont understand their needs.'

Please read very slowly and try to understand what I am saying.

popsdosh

Visit site
What happened to this poor baby is incredibly sad and whether she had issues or not there is no excuse for her being neglected.
However that does not mean this is the norm or that its acceptable to shoot a perfectly sound and healthy rideable horse. It just means they need to be very rigid and careful about who they allow to rehome these animals.

What if you cannot guarantee this wonderful home for them? As I said before I am sure whoever sold that mare thought it was going to a good home however obviously it wasnt !!! Maybe thats more acceptable to you than putting a healthy horse to sleep even if it ends up like that!. Believe it or not as soon as you sell that horse you have no say in its future.

Last edited:

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Please point out where I say that or apologise as you have just skimmed over it and come to a conclussion.

These are the words again ' every horse should be given the best home you can find for them in general over many years most horses appear to end up in neglect from rehoming to people who dont understand their needs.'

Please read very slowly and try to understand what I am saying.

You really are patronising piece of work poshdosh. I have read your statement and again ask where your evidence is to back it up? Please dont actually bother replying as its a rhetorical question as I highly doubt you will have anything concrete and you are starting to bore me at this point with your nasty attitude

popsdosh

Visit site
You really are patronising piece of work poshdosh. I have read your statement and again ask where your evidence is to back it up? Please dont actually bother replying as its a rhetorical question as I highly doubt you will have anything concrete and you are starting to bore me at this point with your nasty attitude

Believe me I can be more patronising than that!
See this is what you put and it is clearly not what I said. 'Now your being ridiculous! What evidence do you have that most horses that are rehomed end up neglected!?' I dont need any evidence as its not what I said . Do not expect for one minute to twist my words around and expect to get away with it.

I will try and put it in easier language. In my many years of dealing with horses most neglected horses have been linked to being rehomed to people who do not understand their needs . In that statement where do I say all or even most rehomed horses end up neglected ? and I never have!

Funny how some can dish it out but not take it when they are plainly wrong . You could well do with not making some many quick judgements about people without out knowing all the facts of why they have done what they have.

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Believe me I can be more patronising than that!
See this is what you put and it is clearly not what I said. 'Now your being ridiculous! What evidence do you have that most horses that are rehomed end up neglected!?' I dont need any evidence as its not what I said . Do not expect for one minute to twist my words around and expect to get away with it.

I will try and put it in easier language. In my many years of dealing with horses most neglected horses have been linked to being rehomed to people who do not understand their needs . In that statement where do I say all or even most rehomed horses end up neglected ? and I never have!

Funny how some can dish it out but not take it when they are plainly wrong . You could well do with not making some many quick judgements about people without out knowing all the facts of why they have done what they have.

I am not trying to twist your words. Nor can I be bothered to rake over old ground any longer. I stand by everthing I have said in this and the previous thread.
As for not making judgements well...pot...kettle. That is the last ill say on the matter.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Changing the subject back to the original horse in question a moment... as I understand the FB info, she was found abandoned. So we don't actually know that she was rehomed after racing. Over the years, three of my horses have been ex racers. All were/are with me until the end of their days. The current one was abandoned on rehab livery by his owner and trainer. They just stopped paying his bills and left him there.

Now I am not saying all in the industry are like that by any means. However in all walks of life there are unscrupulous people. This may not have been a failed rehome, for all we know (or for all I understand from the FB page). Not every TB is suitable for rehoming, and not every wannabe rehomer is suitable for a TB. But it doesn't mean all of them aren't, just as it doesn't mean every owner/trainer is responsible when disposing of their finished horses.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I bought my cob for £500 and was absolutely done over price wise, but I really liked him and made the decision that it was worth it to me. He was 2.5yr old at the time. Hes now rising 6yr old. I have spent thousands getting him to this point. More than enough to buy myself the horse I should probably have.

I'm not a novice by any stretch of the imagination and didnt buy him just because he was cheap. Admittedly I didnt expect to find that I would end up in such a state physically, but such is life! So I have poured money into him to get him to the point where hes a nice riding horse. Ironically it turns out hes hot and forward and might yet be too much for me now no matter how much money I throw at it :(

I'm lucky in that I had the experience to know when to bring in other people etc, and also now at the point where hes a stonking little cob who people keep trying to buy from me, to understand that as lovely as he is and as easy as he is for a competent person, he still might be too much for me.

The difference is, hes now a 6yr old and has a reasonable value and a very good chance of finding a good home. I wouldnt take back a minute of time with my boy, and actually did buy the steady all rounder my crippled body needs, and I hated riding him, so for me it was a conscious decision to keep my boy knowing how it could pan out.

The vast majority of people who buy exracers and young cobs etc, do it because they are cheap and they really dont understand what it takes to turn them into the nice steady all rounders that these people need. It costs a fortune and isnt a cheap option.

jofwigby

Visit site
I have ridden all my life and perhaps consider myself as an experienced novice - happy hacker but can be persuaded to jump, hunt etc on occasion.

I was given an ex-racer as I used to ride work on him - I had perhaps 15 of the best and worst years with him. The short version is that when I took him on, we had an agreement that he would never be sold - his quirks were such that I would never have passed him on and PTS would have been our only option.

On another note, I struggle when I see horses like that mare, when my common sense says PTS immediately.